Compton compositor and (minor) issue with Whisker

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Neurons_at_Work

Compton compositor and (minor) issue with Whisker

Post by Neurons_at_Work »

Hi all,
I'm running XFCE 17.2 on a Thinkpad T410 (i915 Intel graphics) and was experiencing a lot of video tearing, so went with the compton compositor as that is an oft-quoted solution. It worked very well using the generic compton.conf file contents as provided on many sites. The tearing issue seems corrected (had tried xorgedgers first, nada, reverted) and the side benefits are windows and menus that fade in/out smoothly and a great drop shadow effect. I'm having just one issue with Whisker menu, and I thought that perhaps someone out there might have figured out a solution. All windows fade in, along with their drop shadow, and both fade out together when the window or menu is closed. With Whisker, however, the menu fades in with shadow, but when closed the menu closes instantaneously, leaving just the shadow effect to fade out at the normal speed. I'm just looking for some reason why every other window/menu/tooltip fades in/out, but Whisker alone briefly leaves its shadow behind. I'm guessing that a tweak in compton.conf would help. I'm not sure whether this is a factor, but I have also added code to gtkrc-2.0 to dark theme Whisker. And yes, I can wait for Rosa and see if that fixes it, but I just thought I'd put this out there on the off chance this has been seen before. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
isacdan

Re: Compton compositor and (minor) issue with Whisker

Post by isacdan »

Setting the background opacity at 100 in the Whisker Menu settings solved the problem for me.

Return to “Xfce”