Is Thunar Stable in 17.3?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
slumbergod

Is Thunar Stable in 17.3?

Post by slumbergod »

I just wondered if any of the early adopters of 17.3 XFCE have encountered the crashing bugs (file moving and renaming) that have plagued users in other distros using XFCE4.12. It's been so bad that many users have had to downgrade thunar to earlier versions or change file manager.

Anyone having problems?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Is Thunar Stable in 17.3?

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi slumbergod,

The problem is with Thunar and glib-2.45. Here is the bug report. LM 17.3 is using version 2.40.2 (it's that old!).
So the issues you have heard about do not occur. All is well here. :D

As a side note I'm also running Debian tracking testing and all you've heard is true. :?
Quexos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Quexos »

I have only had one oddity in two installs so far with my /home/username folder being root instead of user (on one of the installs), but I do not have a clue what caused that. If you can think of some things for me to do to test Thunar, I'm game, but so far it is behaving just like 17.2 did for me.
slumbergod

Post by slumbergod »

Hmmm, I might try 17.3 on my spare laptop then. It sounds like it will be comparable to the Xubuntu 15.04 experience.

I had to go back to Xubuntu 15.04 on my main machine and while that stopped thunar from crashing frequently (it still does on rare occasions) there are other issues...I move a file and a ghost version of the file moved reappears in the source folder requiring a manual refresh.

Catch-22 -- can't live without thunar (fast, light, familiar) but since 1.6.6 it has been plagued with issues to the point of being unusable.
Quexos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Quexos »

Hmmm. I've toyed with Xubuntu 15.10 and didn't notice anything (that doesn't mean much, I didn't use it more than a day or two). Maybe a program crash or two, but nothing major, nothing I don't get in Mint as well. I really liked the darker panel and whisker menu in Xubuntu though, instead of all this blah grey on blah grey. But, yeah, Mint Xfce is very similar to Xubuntu. Basically the same but with a couple programs different like, gmusicbrowser > banshee, mousepad > gedit. There was something in Xubuntu 15.10 that annoyed me, but I've forgotten what it was (I'm that old!) so I wound up back on Mint Xfce.

Edit: I remembered one. I once tried to delete the .Trash-1000 folder when it still had a deleted file in it...that crashed Thunar, but no big deal. It is Thunar 1.6.10 (xubuntu 15.10 and Manajaro 15.12 also has this version) in Mint 17.3 Xfce...for now.
Last edited by Quexos on Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
slumbergod

Post by slumbergod »

If 17.3 XFCE is using the tried and tested older base (through to 2019?) does that mean that the applications updated with new releases or are they also pegged at old versions?
Quexos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Quexos »

I'm not sure what determines if things are updated or not, but yeah, a lot of applications are quite old. Like VLC 2.1.6 and Audacious in the repo is from 2014? Pretty old. Even file-roller (archive manager) is a very old version, which wouldn't be bad except that it is a very broken version, and there are newer versions that are totally stable and not broken in the ubuntu archives http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/m ... ile-roller. Why on earth they've left the broken one this long is beyond me.
slumbergod

Post by slumbergod »

Thanks, I might be wishing for the impossible then. I'd like the stability of the older xfce base (upgrades for components when they are known to be stable) but with new versions of the apps I use (vlc, audacious etc).

I think I will go ahead and install 17.3 on the spare machine so I can play around and decide whether to stay with xubuntu 15.04 or go with 17.3 xfce.
Quexos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Quexos »

You can always get newer versions from PPAs. I've dabbled with a Manjaro and Xubuntu but always wind up back on Mint 17.x because something or another doesn't work on the other ones and I'll settle for older media players to have a working filesync tool or whatever else didn't work elsewhere.
Uke

Post by Uke »

After upgrading to 17.3 (stable) I had issues with Thunar
- sluggish behaviour when opening & refresh/list
- even more sluggish behaviour accessing usb sticks

Never encountered anything like this in previous releases.
Finally I installed Nautilus.

Georg
slumbergod

Post by slumbergod »

FO
Last edited by slumbergod on Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

slumbergod wrote:I still haven't found time to try out 17.3 Xfce on my spare laptop but since I started this thread Xubuntu 15.04 has come to end of life.

(It seems stupid to stop support after 9 months when all they have to do is stop it when the next release is out...
You would have been happier with only a six-month support period, lol?

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
slumbergod

Post by slumbergod »

FO
Last edited by slumbergod on Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

slumbergod wrote:Who said anything about 6 months? The next version comes out in 2 months or so. Why stop support midday way? Was your pointless contribution trying to troll me?
Ubuntu versions don't come out every two months, they come out every SIX months. You were griping about Ubuntu's non-LTS versions only being supported nine months and wanted them to, instead, stop supporting a version when the next version gets released. As that occurs every six months...
slumbergod wrote:Who said anything about 6 months?
YOU did. :lol: :roll:

Nine months minus the number of months between release dates (six months) equals three months. You asked for the support period to be shortened by three months, lol.
slumbergod wrote:Why stop support midday way?
They don't. They give people until the next version comes out - PLUS three additional months for the procrastinators.
slumbergod wrote:Was your pointless contribution trying to troll me?
Pointless? The first... Instead of asking why people who CBA to upgrade versions in a timely manner don't simply stick with LTS versions (the extended length of support that comes with them), I merely reminded you that Ubuntu releases every six months. The second post (this one) could either be taken as a reminder to that or a basic maths lesson (whichever one out of the two happened to apply which caused your error in thinking).

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Xfce”