Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
glitchathon
Level 2
Level 2

Mint 17 Xfce Applications Menu

Post by glitchathon » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:30 am

Hi there,
I am still on Qiana and for the past year have been struggling with MenuLibre and items missing from the applications menu (that occurs when I right-click). Today, I removed the xfce-applications.menu file from /home/username/.config/menus/folder and it seems to have fixed the problem. Does anyone happen to know if I am missing anything from deleting that file? I assume the default settings are in place from the the file in /usr/share/xfcemint?

If I want to start editing the menu again, should I just edit the .desktop files manually. I would like to avoid ever opening up MenuLibre again, as it seems very buggy.

Is it necessary to recreate the xfce-applications.menu from an original install of Mint Xfce 17? I admit to still being confused as to how to properly get my menu back to its original state.

Thanks for any guidance on this!

GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 17 Xfce Applications Menu

Post by GeneBenson » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:20 am

Hi glitchathon,

Could tell us what you are trying to achieve by editing the application menu? Are you trying to hide an application, make a hidden application show up, change the category it appears in?

glitchathon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by glitchathon » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:55 pm

Hi Gene,
Thanks for the reply. I was initially hoping to add my own separators, add a few other desktop items to top level, maybe hide a few categories. Is it safe to say that all of the stuff that MenuLibre did was in the xfce-applications.menu file that I deleted as well as the .desktop files in .local/shared? I am hoping that I can gain back some control over the menu mostly through the .desktop files, and maybe create a new xfce-applications.menu file to tweak the order a bit.

GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:56 pm

Hi glitchathon,
is it safe to say that all of the stuff that MenuLibre did was in the xfce-applications.menu file that I deleted as well as the .desktop files in .local/shared?
I've never used MenuLibre but I don't have a "/home/username/.config/menus/folder/xfce-applications.menu" so I can only assume that it came from MenuLibre.
I was initially hoping to add my own separators, add a few other desktop items to top level, maybe hide a few categories.
Some yes, some no. You could edit a .desktop file in place but I would strongly recommend that you copy it to your Home folder in ~/.local/share/applications and edit it there.

You can add a desktop item to the top level by adding ";X-Xfce-Toplevel" to the Categories= line like this:

Code: Select all

Categories=Network;X-XFCE;X-Xfce-Toplevel;
You can't hide an entire category in a desktop file but you can hide a single entry by adding the line:

NoDisplay=True
Sometimes an item doesn't show up in the menu, possibly because it contains a line like this:

OnlyShowIn=MATE
(or KDE, GNOME, ...) when you are running XFCE.
Delete this line to make it show up in the menu.

In my experience a category will disappear from the menu when it is empty. So instead of trying to hide the category why not just uninstall the programs in that category?

ajgreeny
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ajgreeny » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:39 pm

I still use alacarte as the menu editor application for xfce-4.12 that I have in Xubuntu 14.04. It seems much easier to use than menulibre which I tried but found confusing.

glitchathon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by glitchathon » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:01 pm

Thanks for the help. It looks like I can do most of what I want with the .desktop file categories. For the most part, the default order is fine, and I probably could just uninstall a lot of stuff to clean it up the way I want it.

Return to “Xfce”