Icon pack problem

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wyjek

Icon pack problem

Post by wyjek »

Hi,
At first, I wanted to tell that I'm a total newbie in the Linux world, Mint XFCE (32-bit) is my first system. My problem is that some icon packs won't show in 'Appearance' menu after copying them to '/usr/share/icons'. Some of them show, but when I apply them, they are missing many icons. Yet another crash the 'Appearance', that it closes after second. Installing by terminal or .deb packages gives the same result. Can you help me, please? I would be grateful.
Wyjek
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Icon pack problem

Post by Hoser Rob »

As mentioned in the link in the last post, installing themes & icons is something you need to be careful about. Gnome has a bad habit of breaking their own themes when they release a new version. It's a bucket of worms and I usually avoid them.

I'll tell you one thing, I wouldn't touch icons/themes that have to be installed from a ppa or .deb file or a tarball. I rarely install app software that way ... Chrome and MakeMKV are the only ones I can think of, and I have no ppa sources on 2 mint installs. For OS/DE things, no frakking way.

Maybe you could search in Synaptic Package Manager for some of the xfce icons in this link:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Icons#Xfce_icons

I use the Arch wikis often for tech stuff. They're excellent. But Arch Linux isn't debian based like ubuntu/mint so the software packaging/installation (among some other things) isn't exactly the same. Arch isn't beginner friendly even for Arch users.

Linux is very, very stable. More so than WIndows. But you can destabilize it. Stick to the repos unless there's something you absolutely need that isn't there, and that's unlikely.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Hoser Rob wrote:Gnome has a bad habit of breaking their own themes when they release a new version.
Do you mean "...of Gtk3," by chance?

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
wyjek

Post by wyjek »

ByeByeXP wrote:Hopefully, the fix for this (a system-level library updated in ubuntu 15.04) will be backported soon to LM 17.3 ...
If you say so, then I think I will wait for the fix :P Thank you both for help!

Return to “Xfce”