xubuntu desktop installation error

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dhaneshpd

xubuntu desktop installation error

Post by dhaneshpd »

I was trying to install xubuntu desktop using synaptic package manager. But at the end of the installation, it gave this error...

"E: /var/cache/apt/archives/xubuntu-default-settings_16.04.6_all.deb: trying to overwrite '/etc/skel/.config/Trolltech.conf', which is also in package mint-artwork-gnome 2.6.46"

How can i solve it...? Please help...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: xubuntu desktop installation error

Post by karlchen »

Hello, dhaneshpd.

In case you wish to run Xubuntu 16.04, no problem, download the Xubuntu 16.04 ISO image file, create a bootable live & installation system from it and install it.
In case you wish to run Linux Mint 18 xfce, no problem. Wait a bit till Clem announces that Linux Mint 18 xfce is available for downloading, create a bootable live & installation system from it and install it.
But do not start mixing Xubuntu 16.04 and Linux Mint 18. It is going to get you into trouble as you have noticed.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
dhaneshpd

Post by dhaneshpd »

I like linux mint. But for de i like xubuntu desktop. Can i have linux mint with xubuntu look...? If i install only xfce, will i still get the xubuntu look...?
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

dhaneshpd wrote:I like linux mint. But for de i like xubuntu desktop. Can i have linux mint with xubuntu look...? If i install only xfce, will i still get the xubuntu look...?
AFAIK (and logically speaking), there is no "xubuntu desktop," per se. Xubuntu uses Xfce for its desktop - just like the Xfce flavor of Mint does. If you are not happy with the default theme data (icon, desktop background image, et cetera) that Clem uses as the default for it, simply change them. For ease in doing so, I would suggest picking from among the pre-installed choices. Try those; if, after having done so, you still are not satisfied, then someone might be able to explain how to get whichever theme-related files you like without taking the drastic and ill-considered step of attempting to mix distros.

Personally, I have never used any distro's default theme choices longer than it took to go through the (many) available choices and pick what I like best... But it is linux we are discussing, so "Whatever YOU like best for YOUR system" is generally the rule, lol. Just please do it in a sensible way.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
dhaneshpd

Post by dhaneshpd »

Thank you for the replies. Looks like i should better wait for the official xfce version of linux mint... :)
How can i mark this thread as solved...? :?: :roll:
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Sidenote: the Xfce iso of Mint 18 is already undergoing tests, so we probably won't have to wait for long:
https://community.linuxmint.com/iso
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
jbrock

Post by jbrock »

As mentioned Xubuntu is just Ubuntu but with Xfce desktop environment. There is no issue with switching to Xfce on Linux Mint. There is no need to have to do a fresh install of your operating system. You would not be causing issues because of "mixing" distros. There is apparently though a compatibility issue with the meta package `xubuntu-desktop` in Linux Mint. To switch to Xfce you would need to do the following:

Delete the deb package causing the issue. In this case, it is:

Code: Select all

sudo rm /var/cache/apt/archives/xubuntu-default-settings_16.04.6_all.deb
Remove other packages associated with it already installed:

sudo apt remove xubuntu-desktop
Next:

sudo apt autoremove
Next I recommend running:

sudo apt update
and

sudo apt dist-upgrade
to ensure all is working fine with package management and it is not showing any more errors.

Next install Xfce with

sudo apt install xfce4
I strongly recommend going ahead and installing `xfce4-goodies`. You could also install `xfwm4-themes` and `greybird-gtk-theme`. This will get you pretty close to being able to have the same customization options and experience as you would with a fresh Xubuntu install.

By the way, I ran into the issue in this post yesterday (April 15, 2018) with Linux Mint 18.3. I was able to set up Xfce with no issue and also uninstall Cinnamon desktop. (Cinnamon desktop is great, but it was making an old machine run slowly. Xfce made it much faster.)
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, JBrock.

Not quite sure why a thread had to be resurrected which had been resting in peace for 2 years. Anyway.
We all know Ubuntu and Linux Mint are closely related, because Linux Mint 17.x and 18.x are based on Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04 respectively.
As a consequence Xubuntu and Linux Mint xfce are closely related as well.
But:
If you decide to add the xfce desktop to Linux Mint, then you do it the Linux Mint way: you install mint-meta-xfce and all its dependencies - adding the goodies no problem, if you wish. And there will be no problem with any meta package.
If you wish to have Xubuntu, fine, no issue. Install Xubuntu from scratch or add xubuntu-desktop on top of Ubuntu.
But why bring yourself into dependency trouble first by adding xubuntu-desktop on Linux Mint, although achieving the same goal by adding mint-meta-xfce is hassle free?
Your decision.
When I decided to replace Cinnamon by xfce, I opted for going the mint-meta-xfce way. No issues. No fiddling around required.
(By the way, I did not even bother to uninstall Cinnamon afterwards. While I am using xfce, Cinnamon does nothing, except use a bit of my disk space. True at least up to Mint 17.x.)

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
jbrock

Post by jbrock »

Thank you for your post. I did not know about `mint-meta-xfce`. That makes more sense. I had installed `xubuntu-desktop` with the objective of pulling a fuller meta package than just `xfce4`. I should have just installed `mint-meta-xfce` from the start.

Why is it an issue to post to an old thread? If the issue is still relevant and if I feel I have something to contribute that could help others, then why not?

Of course uninstalling Cinnamon would be optional. There is no performance penalty if it is not running. However, I usually just remove unneeded/unused software.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

jbrock wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:33 pm Why is it an issue to post to an old thread?
As you've surely read in the forum rules *cough*, we don't do that here. The reason is that older threads will often be about different versions of Mint, and people don't always notice that, and confusion ensues.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

The sentence from the forum rule which Moem might have quoted is this one:
[2] New Questions Deserve New Topics wrote:Do not resurrect support topics older than 6 months, outdated information can cause issues with newer releases.
Yet, in this particular case, no outdated information is involved. So the quoted rule does not really apply to this thread at the moment.
Xubuntu is still there. Mint xfce is still there. The names of the meta packages on Ubuntu and Mint seem to have remained unchanged on Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 and Mint 17.x/18.x.
Lifeline

Return to “Xfce”