LM xfce default Window Manager style...

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

LM xfce default Window Manager style...

Post by mingle »

I know everyone has their own preference, but surely the default Windows Manager theme (Settings>Windows Manager>'Style' tab) in LM xfce can be something a little more interesting (and less drab!) than the current 'Mint-X'.

Personally I always change this setting to 'Kokodi'. This particular style makes the window decoration look much brighter and 'minty' :-)

One feature of this style that makes it much nicer, is that the title bar and border, for the active-window, is highlighted clearly. That's something that the dull, great 'Mint-X' style doesn't do. The slight 3D shading on the title bar, along with the subtle windows controls make it perfect.

It's not just me, either. I recently made an informal presentation (of the LM18.0 beta) to a group of slightly disgruntled Windows 10 users and of the 10 people present, all but three remarks on the dullness of the standard window appearance. All of them said "How do you tell the active window?", to which I explained that the title-bar font is ever so slightly lighter on the current active window!

Once I explained the ease at which these things can be changed, they seemed impressed, although they (as I admit I still am!) were a little confused as to why the "Appearance" settings didn't also encompass the window decoration and desktop settings as well...

When I selected Kokodi, as the windows style, they were all suitably impressed. I gave them all a chance to fiddle around with the settings and whisker menu as well. Hopefully a few converted there!

Any chance of making it the default Windows style for LM xfce? :-)

Cheers,

Mike.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Re: LM xfce default Window Manager style...

Post by MtnDewManiac »

I think the reason that this distro uses the Mint-X theme as default is because it is... Mint. :lol:

I suppose if you wanted to write a graphical presentation showing how easy it is to change the (many) visual GUI options - and how many there are to choose from even on a standard distro installation - and incorporate that into the... whatever the application is that presents a window at first run which shows a few "beginner things," that Clem might consider using it. But I assume that the actual default look will always be a "Minty" one.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Re: LM xfce default Window Manager style...

Post by mingle »

MtnDewManiac wrote:...But I assume that the actual default look will always be a "Minty" one.MDM
Yeah, but "minty" denotes "green", doesn't it? :-)

The Mint-X theme is slate grey and dull. Why not just rename Kokodi as "Mint-Z" and be done with it? :-)

Cheers,

Mike.

Return to “Xfce”