Font Size Too Small in Mint 18 (Thunar)

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Font Size Too Small in Mint 18 (Thunar)

Post by MtnDewManiac » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:53 am

It seems like my font size is smaller in Thunar in Mint 18 than in Mint 17. Possibly other places as well, but definitely in Thunar. Is there a way to increase it? Using a laptop with a 1366x768 display, if that matters. IDK if the font size has decreased globally or not, but I almost have that impression.

Thanks in advance,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Font Size Too Small in Mint 18 (Thunar)

Post by xenopeek » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:31 am

They are using the same Thunar version. 18 on the left, 17.3 on the right (click to zoom; I've magnified 8x):
Could be related to if you have set a custom theme. In Settings > Appearance > Fonts you can increase the DPI value (default = 96) to make all text larger. If you want to be exact, you can calculate the DPI for your monitor diameter & resolution combination with https://www.sven.de/dpi/ (to be able to get the same on screen text size across multiple computers).

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:10 am

I changed the desktop background image in both 17 and 18. That's about it. Firefox text is way too small in 18, too. Other stuff.

Does it have something to do with that line in the blog I saw, something about "high-DPI" being in 18? Or... IDK, I know my vision has degraded more in the time between 17 and 18, but I can switch back and forth NOW and see the difference. The rest of 18 looks okay (at a glance), I guess. Except that default image viewer has a bug. But I understand that I can just install... whatever this (17 Xfce) one uses, so that's no big deal. I'm basically just trying to figure out how to unshrink all the fonts on my Mint 18 system to Mint 17 size.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:28 am

Unless you're looking at Mint 17 and Mint 18 on the same monitor, at the same time, you might be fooling yourself into thinking the fonts of all programs are smaller. Sure, Firefox is an oddbal as are some other big name cross-platform programs that don't handle text the same way as Linux native programs. You can't use those programs as a benchmark. Fonts might show differently from one Firefox version to the next; I've had to uninstall some fonts (I had added myself) with Firefox 48 as it was making all my text look weird.

What other programs do you think the font sizes are different? Take a screenshot of them, on the same monitor with the same text showing. Compare the screenshots side-by-side.

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:26 pm

I'll do that, but I was talking about the linux-native version of Firefox, not the Windows one that is called "Netflix" on my system. I'm on the way out the door right now, will investigate further and post images tonight.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

ginjabunny
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ginjabunny » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:21 pm

I have the same problem, Thunar doesn't seem to be using the default font set in Appearance, I have 2 windows open side by side, (see pic) right is thunar on my profile (font is too small), left is gksu thunar so using root profile (font is the correct size), both are set to "zoom normal".
So I am assuming that somewhere in my profile there is a setting in a config file for Thunar or XFCE which I can't find, I have tried renaming hidden folder in .config for thunar but made no difference.

Any idea?
Screenshot_2016-10-12_17-11-41.jpg

ginjabunny
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ginjabunny » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:48 pm

Following on from my post above I discovered something interesting, it seems I may have figured it out by accident, this is a new build and as I have been trying to get the video to play the best I've been trying different drivers, when I changed from nVidia-304 to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau drivers then the fonts are now the correct size, most odd. Now I'm trying nVidia-340 and they are wrong again (and now it's crashed the whole system so to back to 304).

Is there some sort of font cache somewhere that the proprietary drivers use?

ginjabunny
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ginjabunny » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:15 pm

got it, in Settings > Appearance > Fonts, untick "Custom DPI Setting" (which was set to 96 DPI).

It seems by default it is forced to 96 DPI which is wrong for my resolution (1280x720), and seems some apps use this and make the fonts appear proportional to it, so unticking it causes it to use the real values.

Return to “Xfce”