Desktop - wallpaper gone SOLVED

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gwtx

Desktop - wallpaper gone SOLVED

Post by gwtx »

After getting "Rosa" setup like I wanted, I ran the update mgr, and now I have no wallpaper, and no response to right click on the desktop(yes right click works everywhere else). Being new to Linux, I may have checked or unchecked or not checked appropriate boxes while initiating the update. This is the first time for me to update. I have M13 Cin running for several years, and have never updated it. I have not found anyone else ever having the exact same problem. I have tried all the "fixes" that were related to desktop problems. ANY and all help is appreciated. I am really enjoying being "non dependant" on microsoft. Thanks, Gary
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Desktop - wallpaper gone

Post by richyrich »

In Desktop Settings, you may need to navigate to the new backgrounds folder(s).
Take a look in /usr/share/backgrounds , you will now see that there are separate folders for your wallpapers. You can also open and login to Synaptic Package Manager and install many other mint-backgrounds-xxx. :-)

In Desktop Settings > Menu tab, is your right-click enabled?
gwtx

Post by gwtx »

I don't see a place in Desktop Settings to enable/disable right click. Don't have a"Menu tab" in Desktop settings that I can see.
Right click, was working fine before the update. The only problem I was having was a "hang" on startup intermittently. ???
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Click to enlarge. :-)
gwtx

Post by gwtx »

Thanks, I overlooked the "menus" tab,,ahh, the golden years.
Yes, it is enabled there. I think I probably (out of ignorance) disabled support for something that I didn't fully understand, but don't know what it might have been, or how to get it back. As I said, my first time to update, and there were some choices to make that I was not sure of. But, instead of stopping and researching each one, I just blundered on :( Thanks for the help, any more thoughts? Gary
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I think you've got me stumped too ! :shock:

Check Menu > Settings > Session & Startup program > Session tab. Is your's similar to mine?
gwtx

Post by gwtx »

Mine is the same EXCEPT "fsdesktop" is missing. I'm looking for info on how to get it back now. Thanks , I'll keep you posted, and please let me know if you have any ideas.
gwtx

Post by gwtx »

Hey Rich, that was it. I added fxdesktop to the start list, restarted and it's back. Thanks for the help, much appreciated. Now I need to figure out why the "hangs" on startup. Doesn't happen every time. For a while, I could do a recovery startup and "fix broken pkgs", and that would lessen the hangs. Or I could do a "generic" start and that would run ok. But, it has gotten to a point that neither of those work. I usually just cold kill, and restart, and most times it comes up fine. Oh well that another matter, Thanks again, without that screen shot, I'd never have found the problem. I was about ready to wipe it out and start all over..
gwtx

Post by gwtx »

How do I mark the post "solved" ?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Good job! :-) When you log in to the forums again, go up to your first post, click the Edit icon in the upper right of the post, and you can add it to the Subject line.

Hang on boot? How far do you get? Do you make it to the Login? Please use the following terminal command and copy/paste it into your next reply (inside Code tags). We can then take a look at your hardware setup.
inxi -Fxz
gwtx

Re: Desktop - wallpaper gone SOLVED

Post by gwtx »

I have almost always got the "??? probe failed" at the startup. Don't remember offhand all of the text, but research says it doesn't hurt anything,,,still bugs me.
When it fails to start, is puts up the error about the xxx probe fail,,,then nothing. Sometimes it gets past that and shows the "mint" symbol. That's it. Kill it and restart, and it's usually ok, sometimes takes two restarts.

System: Host: Mint173-XP-W7 Kernel: 3.19.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.2)
Desktop: Xfce 4.12.2 (Gtk 2.24.23) Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Machine: System: . product: .
Mobo: Abit model: IP35 Pro(Intel P35-ICH9R) v: 1.0
Bios: Phoenix v: 6.00 PG date: 05/26/2008
CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E6750 (-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 10688
clock speeds: max: 2672 MHz 1: 2004 MHz 2: 2004 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV670 [Radeon HD 3690/3850]
bus-ID: 01:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.17.1 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1280x1024@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV670
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.5.9 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV670/680 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 3690/3800 Series]
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
Card-2 Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.19.0-32-generic
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL-8110SC/8169SC Gigabit Ethernet
driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: be00 bus-ID: 04:00.0
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Card-2: Realtek RTL-8110SC/8169SC Gigabit Ethernet
driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: bc00 bus-ID: 04:01.0
IF: eth1 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 720.2GB (1.5% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD6401AALS size: 640.1GB
ID-2: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD800JB size: 80.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 46G used: 5.3G (13%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3
ID-2: /home size: 216G used: 1.4G (1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
ID-3: swap-1 size: 3.86GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda6
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 86.0
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 173 Uptime: 1:03 Memory: 698.7/3951.3MB
Init: Upstart runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.111) inxi: 2.2.28
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Can you also post the output from this terminal command:
hwe-support-status --verbose
gwtx

Post by gwtx »

gwtx@Mint173-XP-W7 ~ $ hwe-support-status --verbose
hwe-support-status: command not found
gwtx@Mint173-XP-W7 ~ $ hwe -support -status --verbose
No command 'hwe' found, did you mean:
Command 'hte' from package 'ht' (universe)
Command 'xwe' from package 'xwpe' (universe)
Command 'we' from package 'xwpe' (universe)
hwe: command not found
gwtx@Mint173-XP-W7 ~ $
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I was looking to see if you had an HWE enabled kernel. You don't, that's good, otherwise I'd suggest you upgrade your kernel to the 4.4.x version.
If those freezes keep happening, go to Mint Update > View > Linux kernels, and update to the latest 3.19.xx kernel. I don't know if it will help, but it may be worth a try.
PS: If you do upgrade your kernel and something goes wrong, you will still be able to boot back to your previous kernel.
PSS: ANY upgrade that MAY cause a problem, I ALWAYS do a backup to an external drive of my important stuff.

Good luck, and regards, :)
richy
gwtx

Post by gwtx »

Thanks for the help. The last few starts since the desktop was fixed have gone without a hitch. I WILL be doing a backup real soon. Gary
glendenning

Post by glendenning »

richyrich wrote:In Desktop Settings, you may need to navigate to the new backgrounds folder(s).
Take a look in /usr/share/backgrounds , you will now see that there are separate folders for your wallpapers. You can also open and login to Synaptic Package Manager and install many other mint-backgrounds-xxx. :-)

I am having the same problem as the other inquiry had but I have gone to user/share/backgrounds/Sarah and using admin permissions put some pictures in it. Still did not accept the wallpaper that I chose on restart. Anywhere that I have gone wrong?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

..Still did not accept the wallpaper that I chose on restart..
Are you talking about the Desktop wallpaper, or the Login Screen wallpaper ? Please be more specific, as I cannot quite understand the above statement. :?

Return to “Xfce”