How to show desktop by moving the mouse to corners

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
rand0MPrecisi0n
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:13 pm

How to show desktop by moving the mouse to corners

Postby rand0MPrecisi0n » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:26 am

Anybody knows how to do this? I'm using Xfce and 18.

User avatar
richyrich
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8677
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 8:31 pm

Re: How to show desktop by moving the mouse to corners

Postby richyrich » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:43 am

It's called xfce4-hotcorner-plugin in Synaptic Package Manager. I have it pre-installed in Mint 17.3 Xfce edition. If you open and login to Synaptic, you can see if it is already installed. If not, install it. Then . .
Right-click on the panel > Panel > Add new items > and add the Hotcorner plugin . . ta-daaa ! :-)

rand0MPrecisi0n
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:13 pm

Re: How to show desktop by moving the mouse to corners

Postby rand0MPrecisi0n » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:00 pm

richyrich wrote:It's called xfce4-hotcorner-plugin in Synaptic Package Manager. I have it pre-installed in Mint 17.3 Xfce edition. If you open and login to Synaptic, you can see if it is already installed. If not, install it. Then . .
Right-click on the panel > Panel > Add new items > and add the Hotcorner plugin . . ta-daaa ! :-)


I guess it's not available on 18 yet as I can't find it. Thank you!

User avatar
kdemeoz
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:17 am
Location: Land of Oz

Re: How to show desktop by moving the mouse to corners

Postby kdemeoz » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:02 pm

If you're willing to change from the default Xfce Window Manager to Compiz, then you can do:

Xfce Compiz Corners Show Desktop_20161011_124010.png
openSUSE Tumbleweed Plasma 5.11.3, & Manjaro KDE 5.11.4 [Mint 17.x KDE4 2014-2016]

rand0MPrecisi0n
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:13 pm

Re: How to show desktop by moving the mouse to corners

Postby rand0MPrecisi0n » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:12 pm

kdemeoz wrote:If you're willing to change from the default Xfce Window Manager to Compiz, then you can do:

Xfce Compiz Corners Show Desktop_20161011_124010.png


What is the difference between composite and compiz?

User avatar
kdemeoz
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:17 am
Location: Land of Oz

Re: How to show desktop by moving the mouse to corners

Postby kdemeoz » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:51 am

rand0MPrecisi0n wrote: What is the difference between composite and compiz?


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiz
http://www.compiz.org/
http://wiki.compiz.org/PluginsMain
https://answers.launchpad.net/compiz/+question/235670

Though according to at least some of those links Compiz appears to be dead as an ongoing project (???), to some extent or other Mint seems still supporting it, in that it's part of the Mint 18 Xfce release. I setup my VM [on which i experimented with M18 Xfce to learn about how to use Compiz], then migrated my Lappy to it thereafter [though i still live in the KDE world on my Tower primary pc]. Though i found Compiz very tricky initially to understand & configure, eventually i sussed it out ok & now in my Tower VM & my physical Lappy SSD, it works brilliantly.

I won't try to answer your question in a purely technical sense, as i'd doubtless get it wrong & trip over myself. Suffice to say in a pragmatic sense, Compiz allows you to create & use a multitude of tricky & even highly useful desktop special effects, none of which is available with the default Xfce Window Manager. For example, i have mine configured for Wobbly Windows, Desktop Cube, 15 or 18 Virtual Desktops [forgot which atm, but with individual wallpaper per VD], Scale, Application Switcher, Desktop Wall, Expo etc. Whereas those first two are merely unashamed eye-candy for gee-whiz oomph, the others are brilliantly handy productivity enhancers. Though i don't actually use it myself [coz am happy with the function via Task Tray icon], another of Compiz' optional functions seems to be the Show Desktop for which i originally answered.
openSUSE Tumbleweed Plasma 5.11.3, & Manjaro KDE 5.11.4 [Mint 17.x KDE4 2014-2016]

rand0MPrecisi0n
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:13 pm

Re: How to show desktop by moving the mouse to corners

Postby rand0MPrecisi0n » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:47 am

kdemeoz wrote:
rand0MPrecisi0n wrote: What is the difference between composite and compiz?


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiz
http://www.compiz.org/
http://wiki.compiz.org/PluginsMain
https://answers.launchpad.net/compiz/+question/235670

Though according to at least some of those links Compiz appears to be dead as an ongoing project (???), to some extent or other Mint seems still supporting it, in that it's part of the Mint 18 Xfce release. I setup my VM [on which i experimented with M18 Xfce to learn about how to use Compiz], then migrated my Lappy to it thereafter [though i still live in the KDE world on my Tower primary pc]. Though i found Compiz very tricky initially to understand & configure, eventually i sussed it out ok & now in my Tower VM & my physical Lappy SSD, it works brilliantly.

I won't try to answer your question in a purely technical sense, as i'd doubtless get it wrong & trip over myself. Suffice to say in a pragmatic sense, Compiz allows you to create & use a multitude of tricky & even highly useful desktop special effects, none of which is available with the default Xfce Window Manager. For example, i have mine configured for Wobbly Windows, Desktop Cube, 15 or 18 Virtual Desktops [forgot which atm, but with individual wallpaper per VD], Scale, Application Switcher, Desktop Wall, Expo etc. Whereas those first two are merely unashamed eye-candy for gee-whiz oomph, the others are brilliantly handy productivity enhancers. Though i don't actually use it myself [coz am happy with the function via Task Tray icon], another of Compiz' optional functions seems to be the Show Desktop for which i originally answered.


Thank you! Sounds interesting!

hal_
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:44 am

Re: How to show desktop by moving the mouse to corners

Postby hal_ » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:15 pm

kdemeoz wrote:If you're willing to change from the default Xfce Window Manager to Compiz, then you can do:

Thank you very much kdemoz: It is exactly what I was looking for :D
Without installing anything, I am able to use hot corner functions again: I was used to use them in the past but in my new Linux I can't find them.
That screenshot plus this old video (on Ubuntu but it's the same on Linux Mint) have been very useful for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFHLfbx3Hbs

User avatar
kdemeoz
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:17 am
Location: Land of Oz

Re: How to show desktop by moving the mouse to corners

Postby kdemeoz » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:09 pm

Hi Hal, oh that's great news, good on you. It really does increase our utility & pleasure in our workflows, doesn't it, when we can have these nice little extras.
openSUSE Tumbleweed Plasma 5.11.3, & Manjaro KDE 5.11.4 [Mint 17.x KDE4 2014-2016]


Return to “XFCE”