[Solved] Possible Bug in System Info (sysinfo) Mint 18.1 (Xfce)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

[Solved] Possible Bug in System Info (sysinfo) Mint 18.1 (Xfce)

Post by Night Wing »

I first noticed this in 64 bit Mint 18 and it is still present in 64 bit Mint (18.1). This is happening in all four of my computers (2 laptops, 2 desktop towers). All of these computers are Hewlett Packard 64 bit machines. The laptops are i5's, have 8 GB of memory and Intel 4000 graphics on the motherboard.

The two desktop towers have i7 processors in them, but one of them has 16 GB of memory with a Nvidia graphics card while the other desktop tower has 24 GB of memory with an AMD graphics card.

Since System Info is not installed by default in the Mint menu, I installed it (sysinfo) using Synaptic Package Manager. It installed correctly and it is listed in the Mint menu.

When I click on Sysinfo in the Mint menu, the Sysinfo window shows up. Everything works except when I click on "System", the sysinfo window just closes and disappears. Basically, by clicking on "System", it is the same as clicking "Quit" under the word "File" since "Quit" does the same thing.

If someone has installed "sysinfo", could you possibly confirm this and if this exact same things happens to you, then how is this resolved?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Possible Bug in System Info (sysinfo) Mint 18.1 (Xfce)

Post by altair4 »

Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I can confirm that issue. Running sysinfo from the terminal results in an exception when clicking that system link. Another bug report for the same https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1644529. The bug report https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1575182 has some additional information and apparent patches. Perhaps something there will help.

Mind that upstream development of sysinfo appears dead for the past 11 years. It might be time to look for something new :wink:
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Mind that there's no GUI for inxi so while if offers much more information than sysinfo does, it is not as friendly to the average user.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

xenopeek wrote:Mind that upstream development of sysinfo appears dead for the past 11 years. It might be time to look for something new :wink:
How about hardinfo sudo apt install hardinfo. That seems to work in Mint:
hardinfo.png
Note: It ends up at Menu > System > System Profiler and Benchmark
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

@altair4

Thank you for suggesting the "hardinfo" application. It is just what I needed to replace "sysinfo" which has a bug in it. I installed the application using the Synaptic Package Manager and it works like a dream.

Again, thanks.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

xenopeek wrote:Mind that there's no GUI for inxi so while if offers much more information than sysinfo does, it is not as friendly to the average user.
On the other hand, it seems tailor-made for getting help in forums like this one. Have an issue? Open a terminal, run that command, copy the output, post a thread, click on [ Code ] button in the buttonbar of the forum editor window:
This will insdert into your post [ code] [ /code].
Paste your output between the starting [ code] tag and the closing [ /code] tag.

Which gives you something like:

Code: Select all

user@user's_computer ~ $  inxi -Fx
System:    Host: user's_computer Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.11.8 (Gtk 2.24.23) Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
blah blah blah
user@user's_computer ~ $
Which would potentially be very useful to that average user, lol.

Regards,
MDM
Last edited by karlchen on Thu May 25, 2017 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: corrected the [code] [/code] tags as requested by MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Xfce”