Xfce 18 and now 18.1 Wallpaper crash/reboot (+workaround)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Quexos
Level 2
Level 2

Xfce 18 and now 18.1 Wallpaper crash/reboot (+workaround)

Post by Quexos »

I am having the same problem as I did in Xfce 18 beta, 18, and now 18.1 with ANYTHING to do with accessing wallpapers crashing and rebooting the system. I cannot even browse the wallpaper folders in Thunar (user or root). Cannot access the "Desktop" settings at all. Even sitting at the greeter will crash/reboot after it cycles through a few images. This is a fresh, clean install, before or after all updates, before or after nvidia driver is installed, and nothing tweaked added or removed (no chance of user breaking stuff) yet.

Even using "gksudo thunar" and browsing to "/usr/share/xfce4/backdrops/" where the shortcuts to the wallpapers are causes instant crash/reboot.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Ok, so a "fix:...

1. I copied all the folders and wallpapers in them from /usr/share/backgrounds/ to another drive.
2. Booted Windows to view and edit them. They were huge. Like 10 megabytes for some of them. They also contained non-RGB color profiles and some odd resolutions like 72.009 instead of 72.000.
3. So I edited/deleted/resized/replaced them with my own sane sized wallpapers and edited /usr/share/mdm/html-themes/Mint-X/slideshow.conf accordingly so the greeter would work properly.

Seems to have fixed it, but come on, what a pain in the ***! I think there are just too many, too large files in there for Mint to deal with? Anyway, there it is for the next person that runs into a problem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Xfce 18 and now 18.1 Wallpaper crash/reboot (+workaround)

Post by Flemur »

Quexos wrote:I think there are just too many, too large files in there for Mint to deal with? Anyway, there it is for the next person that runs into a problem.
I'm guessing the problem was because some of the files were in a weird format, e.g. the "non-RGB color profiles". Did you have thunar set to display thumbnails?

But you're right, there's too many and I think they're just a waste of space (90.9 MB), so I uninstall these things and use my own images for backgrounds:
mint-artwork-common
mint-artwork-gnome
mint-artwork-xfce
mint-backgrounds-sarah
mint-backgrounds-xfce
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Quexos
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Xfce 18 and now 18.1 Wallpaper crash/reboot (+workaround)

Post by Quexos »

Flemur wrote:I'm guessing the problem was because some of the files were in a weird format, e.g. the "non-RGB color profiles". Did you have thunar set to display thumbnails?
I did have Thunar set to display thumbnails, that was default, and that may well be the problem (tumbler?), at least when combined with the odd formats and HUGE size of so many of the wallpapers. I don't think any wallpaper should be friggin 10+ megabytes for a single image. That is just nuts.

Return to “Xfce”