For those who have tried Cinnamon or Mate: why do you use Xfce?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
pepperminty
Level 5
Level 5

For those who have tried Cinnamon or Mate: why do you use Xfce?

Post by pepperminty »

Hello, I ask this question as an Xfce user. In fact, I'm typing this on my Xfce Mint 18.1 Selena right now. And I am considering turning my Cinnamon Mint into Xfce too. (I can PM you my reason for choosing Xfce, but I didn't want to influence people's answers by posting my reasons here.)

This question is for those who have used Cinnamon Mint or Mate Mint but have chosen Xfce.

1) Why? Is it simply because your computer can't handle the requirements of Cinnamon or Mate? Or is there something inherently good or beautiful about Xfce?

2) Are there some things you miss about Cinnamon or Mate, now that you're on Xfce? Are there some things that you can do in CinnaMate® that can't be done in Xfce?

3) Are there things you can do in Xfce that can't be done (or is harder to do) on CinnaMate®?

Thank you.

Fri May 26 21:31:10 PDT 2017 UPDATE: Just wanted to say that I have been reading this thread with interest. I didn't want to create a separate reply for this update (spoils the flow). But do know that I'm still reading all the responses. Thank you to all who have chimed in.
Last edited by pepperminty on Sat May 27, 2017 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Re: For those who have used/tried Cinnamon or Mate: why do you use Xfce?

Post by Mute Ant »

"something inherently good or beautiful about Xfce?" Cinnamon and Mate and Gnome share a common ancestor, with an inherited defect. Something in there locks up or crashes the file manager, typically when you try to drag-and-drop a few files up-a-level or down-a-level in the folder tree. At some point during a day's work it 'prepares to move files' and never finishes the job. So I don't bother testing Gnomic desktops any more; XFCE works for me.

"Are there some things you miss about Cinnamon or Mate, now that you're on Xfce?" The Mate Search-Results-As-A-Folder is something missing in Thunar...I can work without it though.
Last edited by Mute Ant on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

pepperminty
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pepperminty »

Mute Ant wrote:Cinnamon and Mate and Gnome share a common ancestor, with an inherited defect. Something in there locks up or crashes the file manager, typically when you try to drag-and-drop a few files up-a-level or down-a-level in the folder tree. At some point during a day's work it 'prepares to move files' and never finishes the job. So I don't bother testing Gnomic desktops any more; XFCE works for me.
Thanks, Mute Ant. Why stress out over file-manager crashes when there's Xfce. I learned something from you. Thanks.

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 »

@pepperminty
Or is there something inherently good or beautiful about Xfce?
beyond good and beautiful--elegant desktop theory.

sammiev
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sammiev »

I test them all as I have more computers than time.

It seems I just keep on going to Xfce more so than the rest.

Why? I guess because it just works.

pepperminty
Level 5
Level 5

Xfce's design philosophy.

Post by pepperminty »

all41 wrote:@pepperminty
Or is there something inherently good or beautiful about Xfce?
beyond good and beautiful--elegant desktop theory.
all41, thank you for chiming in. Your post made me wanna look into their philosophy. I found http://www.xfce.org/about.
Xfce is a lightweight desktop environment for UNIX-like operating systems. It aims to be fast and low on system resources, while still being visually appealing and user friendly.

Xfce embodies the traditional UNIX philosophy of modularity and re-usability. It consists of a number of components that provide the full functionality one can expect of a modern desktop environment. They are packaged separately and you can pick among the available packages to create the optimal personal working environment.

Another priority of Xfce is adherence to standards, specifically those defined at freedesktop.org.
Is that what you had in mind?

pepperminty
Level 5
Level 5

"Just works"

Post by pepperminty »

sammiev wrote:I test them all as I have more computers than time.

Thanks, sammiev. Did you have problems with CinnaMate? Crashes?

pepperminty
Level 5
Level 5

MuteAnt misses Mate's search results as a folder

Post by pepperminty »

Mute Ant wrote: "Are there some things you miss about Cinnamon or Mate, now that you're on Xfce?" The Mate Search-Results-As-A-Folder is something missing in Thunar...I can work without it though.
Almost missed this paragraph of an update on your post. I was on Mate for a number of years. I may boot up Mate (or put Mate onto the other SSD) to try this out.

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 »

There are very accelerated Linux Mint users on this forum that prefer XFCE--there is a reason.
Simplicity wins out every time.
XFCE users help me out on this.

sammiev
Level 4
Level 4

Re: "Just works"

Post by sammiev »

pepperminty wrote:

Thanks, sammiev. Did you have problems with CinnaMate? Crashes?
Not that I remember, they all had the same bugs from one desktop to another.

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

I switched to Xfce around the time of Mint 7 Gloria, and I remember what got me excited about Xfce in the first place . . The Settings Manager ! 8)

pepperminty
Level 5
Level 5

Xfce's Settings Manager excites Richyrich

Post by pepperminty »

richyrich wrote: I remember what got me excited about Xfce in the first place . . The Settings Manager ! 8)
Hi, Richyrich. Nice to read from you again. :)
What is it about the xfce settings manager that excites you?

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

Everything I wanted to learn about / find out about Xfce, how to customize, tweak, etc. was all found in one location.

pepperminty
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pepperminty »

richyrich wrote:Everything I wanted to learn about / find out about Xfce, how to customize, tweak, etc. was all found in one location.
But don't CinnaMate® have everything in one place too?

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

It was in Mint 7 Xfce edition well before Cinnamon or Mate was even thought of . . 8)

tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

I have tried xfce and found it beautiful, as others have said, but have always returned to Mate. Why? Two main reasons. (a) The Mate clock/calendar has the ability to set different Locations, give an advantage that I can immediately see the time in other parts of the world. I frequently use this facility. (b) I have never found a way to accurately place an item on the panel. If you take a look at my Mate panel you will see that all the icons have been placed where I want them. And, even better, it is very simple to move them to where you want.
Screenshot at 2017-03-19 19-08-34.png
If someone could come up with an answer to these to matters, I'd probably change to xfce.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)

TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger »

Cinnamon, MATE and KDE are fine DEs, but of late I've been using Xfce. Some thoughts as to why:

- Xfce is a relatively stable, clear-cut "traditional" desktop which offers the features I need and like from a DE in a desktop context and nothing I don't care for which cannot be satisfactorily disabled/changed.
- The sound card in this PC is used for music only (it doesn't have to work as a phone or anything else) and it is my main DAC at the moment. So I want playback to be mocp > ALSA > card (no resampling etc) without extra layers of stuff. Xfce doesn't complicate things with added features / dependencies (Phonon, pulse, whatever) in that area, sparing my poor wittle head from trying to sort the obscure functional intricacies of the seemingly labyrinthine linux sound stacks.
- Although none of the DEs are a burden on this PC, I like Xfce for its relatively low resource use.
- Further on the personal quirk side, I like the taskbar to be flexible vertically and horizontally, as per KDE and Xfce; I didn't see that flexibility in the Cinnamon or MATE taskbar, if it is possible.
- I like a harmonious desktop, a goal which Gnome (driving GTK) and KDE (QT) have always been and still persist in complicating or thwarting. I appreciate the standards-minded approach of Xfce (and desktop-agnostic notions of the Mint devs such as in their X-apps).

Other DEs do offer other features of course, but most I find either more helpful in other use contexts (a tablet, mobile etc) or of no interest. In KDE 4x, I think I spent more time finding out how to disable DE features (nepomuk/akonadi/balloo in particular) than making use of any. One thing I really miss from KDE is Krusader, with its rich, highly customizable feature set (I'd install Krusader now, just as I've installed KDE's excellent audio file tagger, kid3, but it would drag in phonon and there doesn't seem to be a way around it, unlike kid3, which has a recent phonon-free kid3-qt version). The file managers in Cinnamon and Mate have a nice middle-ground with their extra-pane option, but not Thunar. Ah well, we can't have everything.
“You can make a strong business case for equality but not everyone wants to hear it.” - Prof. Kate Pickett

Mint 19 xfce w/nemo - AMD A10 7700K APU - ASUS Xonar ST - Dell U2415
some favs: Zim, mocp, kid3, calibre, gimp, artha, deluge, handbrake, mc

ColdBoot
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ColdBoot »

Linux is all about choice and Mint as a Linux distro is no exception. That's why they offer 3 different desktop flavors. I'd rather pose a different question: why don't you try them all since you're not pinned down to Metro like when must use Windows?

So far I've tried, which means at least for a year, all these GREAT DE's: GMOME2, KDE3/4, Unity, E17, just plain Openbox with Tint panel, LXDE, XFCE and now Cinnamon, because I can. 8) Hopefully, the list continues... :D
Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1
Intel G1820, DDR3 8GB, Nvidia GT720(2GB)

Kendallt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kendallt »

I've never really cared for Gnome, and while I didn't mind mate, I prefer to keep the 'basic' loads on my system light, Xfce has all the essentials and a light load while managing to keep the conveniences
Xfce does everything I need without a whole of of tweaking.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

Lightweight, and no race condition in 18.1 (like Cinnamon has on my PC).
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Xfce”