For those who have tried Cinnamon or Mate: why do you use Xfce?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
br1anstorm
Level 4
Level 4

Re: For those who have used/tried Cinnamon or Mate: why do you use Xfce?

Post by br1anstorm »

Not sure if I'm fully qualified to answer as I have not used Cinnamon or Mate extensively in Linux Mint. I do use the Mate desktop in my install of PCLinuxOS (but that's partly because there is no official XFCE version of PCLinuxOS!).

In effect I chose the XFCE option when I first committed to Mint as my main, preferred, OS. Two reasons. First, because it's lightweight, smooth and efficient. Second, because I like the 'whisker' menu: it is clear, logical, uncomplicated, intuitive and attractive. Who needs bells, whistles, gizmos and fancy effects?

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Re: For those who have tried Cinnamon or Mate: why do you use Xfce?

Post by all41 »

In effect I chose the XFCE option when I first committed to Mint as my main, preferred, OS. Two reasons. First, because it's lightweight, smooth and efficient. Second, because I like the 'whisker' menu: it is clear, logical, uncomplicated, intuitive and attractive. Who needs bells, whistles, gizmos and fancy effects?
Nobody will disagree here because XFCE rocks.
Mostly though-the desktop you learn first will be your favorite. I use each, and I always learn new things.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Mostly because my current laptop is sluggish under Cinnamon or MATE. :)
Don't get me wrong - Xfce is a fine DE and I don't have any real complaints. I just learned Cinnamon and MATE first and I prefer them - Cinnamon for the polished environment and MATE for a solid, dependable environment.

But though I use Xfce more from necessity than choice, the Whisker Menu is pretty nice!
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 »

I think desktop choice goes beyond hardware requirements though. Most new century computers will handle each and every Mint de.
This comes down to choice and each person will tout their favorite de.
Linux and Mint exist due to choice.
But I see posts polling which de should be demoted--(like it's a debatable subject to begin with).
What's the impetus and motive?

ccoyle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ccoyle »

Pjotr wrote:Lightweight, and no race condition in 18.1 (like Cinnamon has on my PC).
What is "race condition"? I'm using 18.1 and Cinnamon.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

ccoyle wrote:
Pjotr wrote:Lightweight, and no race condition in 18.1 (like Cinnamon has on my PC).
What is "race condition"? I'm using 18.1 and Cinnamon.
https://www.google.nl/?gws_rd=ssl#q=race+condition

But it's probably hardware specific. So no worries if you don't have it now. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

pepperminty wrote: ...

1) Why? Is it simply because your computer can't handle the requirements of Cinnamon or Mate? Or is there something inherently good or beautiful about Xfce?

2) Are there some things you miss about Cinnamon or Mate, now that you're on Xfce? Are there some things that you can do in CinnaMate® that can't be done in Xfce?

3) Are there things you can do in Xfce that can't be done (or is harder to do) on CinnaMate®?
1 - because Xfce is lightweight, fast, customizable, easy to use and beautiful. Perfect for low powered / old machines. There are, of course, DEs with lower footprint like LXDE and Openbox, but Xfce is much better and complete.

2 - I miss system sounds: It's nearly impossible to activate system sounds in Xfce. I've searched around and tried for years, and never had the luck to hear sounds from the system, like the beautiful and rich Cinnamon sound environment. I don't know why the Xfce team has overlooked this aspect of the desktop experience.

3 - customize the panel and the windows as I like. In particular, transparencies.

For me, the DE ranking is:

1 - Cinnamon (with powerful hardware, probably the best DE)

2 - Xfce (with low powered / old hardware)

3 - Mate (good enough for work but not as pleasant / customizable as Xfce)

4 - Lxde (not bad, specially in Lubuntu, but the best version is the Lxde-Xfce blend of Peppermint)

5 - Openbox (but I feel "lost" in this DE)

I don't go further in lower spec desktop environments or windows managers, and I never liked KDE...
Linux everywhere. Active Distros in my many computers: LM17.3 (Cinnamon, Xfce); LM18.1 (Cinnamon,Xfce); LMDE 2 (Mate), MXLinux (Xfce), Debian 9 (Xfce).

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob »

xfrank wrote:... Openbox (but I feel "lost" in this DE) ...
Openbox is not a DE. It's just a WM.

I use Xfce on a machine that I used to have LM Cinnamon on and it ran Cinnamon just fine. I just like Xfce better.

It isn't gimmicky.

It's fast.

It doesn't get new versions all that often -> less bloat over time and it's stable.

I actually like the idea that my desktop looks like something from 1995 but (being Linux) it works very much like OS X. And really, how any things do modern windowing GUIs do that they didn't do in 1995? I like LXDE too ... if it wasn't maintained by just one guy, which AFAIK mostly just works on the file manager, I'd probably use that.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur »

I've tried the other DE but always go with Xfce, probably related to the reasons given by Mute Ant and all41 (light and not as (inter)dependent on gnome stuff). Then I install fluxbox ASAP and use that instead.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

BG405
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BG405 »

I use it because it's great for less powerful machines and because I really like some of the features, like the "active" panel (not sure if that's the right terminology) for example the pop-up weather and the "eyes" - I know, but things like this are fun - would be nice to have those in KDE as well.

I currently use Cinnamon and KDE on the machines which can handle them well. Cinnamon is very polished but for me KDE is the ultimate DE. I will have to try MATE some time once I've done the reinstall on the Dell, have the ISOs so can test in a virtual machine.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Xfce is a good compromise between bling and the easy convenience offered by a full DE and conservation of resources and system overhead.

Honestly have always mostly preferred windows managers (openbox/fluxbox) on all things gnu/nix. Someone with some know how can config them in amazing ways too. Nothing keeping anyone from installing whichever De/Wm(s) they like on LM.

Recently installed Lmde-cinnamon over a Mint 17.2-xfce install and liking cinnamon just fine. Think both are nice and know both can be customized and tweaked to run great on high or low spec hardware.

So really can't say I hard-line prefer one over the other in Mint. Am going to install a few windows managers alongside as well. Would like to see Mint put out a Wm centered version to add to their line-up.

happysadhu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by happysadhu »

I prefer XFCE because it's generally less memory intensive and more easily customizable. The Whisker menu is simple, fast, intuitive. I also like a couple of the panel plugins like "Places" and "Weather". I think Mate would be my second choice. Mate has a nice big start menu. Cinnamon is a beautiful looking OS but I find the start menu a little odd. There is little room for Favorites. They stack up on the left side above various System menu options.

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Citizen229 »

I tried to use KDE. I spent several hours trying to remove features. KDE is a big pile of complicated, just like windows. You can bury them in the same hole.
Cinnamon was decent. I just found myself not caring for flash in the pants. I had one or 2 crashes and decided this was a windows trait I did not want in my linux escape.
MATE. Havent tried it yet. not sure why I should. anything it can do, XFCE can do better.
XFCE- This is the only DE that actually supports Mints mission statement. Ease of use and stability.

While my comments may be harsh of the other DEs, I would like to point out they all have some features I still desire. However the ease and stability is not worth giving up to obtain them.
To be honest, if I want complicated and unstable, I can always reinstall win7.
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
Seeking GPU's, i5/7/9's , Ryzens.

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

Xfce for me too -- been using it on computers of any age for many years. Same reasons others have posted: rock solid, stable, like traditional desktop, easily customizable, etc., etc.

It's been a while since I've bothered looking at the others, but for me:
  1. Tried KDE several times and never liked. For whatever reason, I just could not get used to using it and it mostly frustrated me.
  2. Cinnamon I thought looked nice and was easy to use, but experienced occasional crashes -- so that was a no go in my book.
  3. Mate seemed too plain, boring and was not as easy to customize the way I wanted.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

Return to “Xfce”