[SOLVED] adding items to panel question

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kendallt

[SOLVED] adding items to panel question

Post by Kendallt »

Whenever I have added anything to the panel, they are positioned to the far right past the clock, Is there any way to move them to the left side?
Been looking through the installed packages and menus as well as some light searching, but can't seem to locate anything

If needed, I'm running 18.1 with xfce

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintyO

Re: adding items to panel question

Post by MintyO »

All hail the power of the right mouse click! :wink:
Kendallt

Post by Kendallt »

Wow, that was easy, now I feel foolish! Especially since I right clicked the panel to add the items :)

Thanks!
jsb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jsb »

There's also the items tab in panel where there are arrows on the right to move items one spot at a time.

I've done it that way before as I was not aware of the right click method.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

You are a victim of the SEPARATOR!!! :lol:

But, seriously, there is a separator available for your panel to aid(?) in spacing panel applets. Thing is, you tend to want such things to be invisible - so it's not obvious that they're there. Ergo, it's not obvious how to deal with them.

Right-click on the panel. Move your mouse cursor to "Select." See the little triangle? That means the entry will open up a sub-menu when you hover over it. On that sub-menu, select (left-click on) "Panel Preferences." Left-click on the "Items" tab. Do you see an entry called "Separator" in the list? If so, highlight it and left-click on the edit button (looks like a cartoon rendering of a shopping list, I suppose?). It may not be intuitive - I had some issues with it, or perhaps it had some issues with me :roll: . You can play around with its (very few) options. You can remove it from your panel, add one at a different location (between two applets, at the beginning of your applet list, at the end...), try expanding one but not another, etc.

This might allow you to set your panel up the way you like. It's not going to be perfect for every single user out there, but hopefully you can adjust things to suit you. I have a full-width double-height panel at both the top and bottom of my display, both of which are set to auto-hide when I'm not accessing them, with various things spaced to suit me. I also have a vertical panel on the left side, beginning immediately below where my top panel would be if it was visible, that is approximately double height (err... width, in this case, I suppose). It is just tall enough to hold the icons for six oft-used applications. It is also set to auto-hide. (I like a clean desktop, without icons on it, but with a nice landscape image, lol.) The two full-width panels are set to be somewhat translucent so that I am still able to see what is being displayed even during the times when part of my screen is covered by a panel. The top panel is mostly various monitors (CPU/RAM/swap usage, CPU speed, real-time upload/download bandwidth monitor, clock/date, et cetera), along with the main menu and the Thunar applet (Places?). The bottom panel is currently only holding the "Window Buttons" applet, so I can see representations of running applications. Fairly mundane, now that I think of it - but I have set it up so that it works best for ME. Someone once looked at and said, "I wish I had one of those new fancy powerful computers." I laughed. There is an elegance in simplicity and function. It is called...

Xfce 8) .

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Xfce”