Set up remote screen from terminal

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Set up remote screen from terminal

Post by LindseyD. »

A while back, I installed Mint18 XFCE on a friend's laptop for her. She loves it, but her laptop screen has died, and she wants to use it with a regular computer monitor.

I'm a KDE user, so completely unfamiliar with XFCE commands and such. Nor have I ever had this problem myself.

It seems to me we could boot up to the command line, blindly put in her username and password, then type in commands to connect to the monitor, but I've no idea how.

Is this possible, or does anyone have any suggestions as to what else we could try?

There's no other OS on this laptop, so the Grub menu wouldn't show without holding down the Shift key. Not much else info I can pass on, as she doesn't know the specs and of course we can't see anything on it.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint17 KDE
richyrich

Re: Set up remote screen from terminal

Post by richyrich »

There should be a Function (Fn) key combo for her laptop to switch between internal and external monitors. Does she have it ? Have you tried it ?
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

richyrich wrote:There should be a Function (Fn) key combo for her laptop to switch between internal and external monitors. Does she have it ? Have you tried it ?
OMG, neither of us ever thought of that! I shall immediately google her laptop & see what I can find.

Thanks so much!

LATER: Just got off the phone with her. She says it isn't working. I downloaded the manual, and apparently the Fn-F5 combo gives you a set of icons to switch between possibilities (external monitor, both, projector, etc.) Would she have to have XFCE running to do use the Fn keys? She can't log in because she can't see the login screen.

NOTE: It's a Dell Inspiron 6400. A machine I have no familiarity with. And she's no techno-maven.
Mint17 KDE
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Yes, her computer needs to be running before the function keys will work.
and apparently the Fn-F5 combo gives you a set of icons to switch between possibilities (external monitor, both, projector, etc.)
After boot-up, try the function key combo, followed by a single right-arrow key press. If that's a NO, then re-boot/re-try with two right-arrow key presses, etc. :-)
now3by
Level 2
Level 2

Post by now3by »

Connect external monitor and reboot/power off->on computer and check if external monitor is auto detected;
have a look also here if is detected but your stuck on desktop:
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=241520&p=1290184#p1290184

If nothing work you can try with a live USB image and see there if you have any result.

this is how it look the menu if you press the Fn+Fx in Mint 17.3 Rosa just to have an idea.
Screenshot_2017-03-28_21-55-56.jpg
Linux...
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

richyrich wrote:Yes, her computer needs to be running before the function keys will work.
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I meant does XFCE itself have to be running? Because she can't log in to get it running.

IOW, can she use the Fn keys while XFCE is loading?
After boot-up, try the function key combo, followed by a single right-arrow key press. If that's a NO, then re-boot/re-try with two right-arrow key presses, etc. :-)
Will do, if we can get that far :roll:
Mint17 KDE
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

now3by wrote:Connect external monitor and reboot/power off->on computer and check if external monitor is auto detected;
No, sadly. we already tried that.
If nothing work you can try with a live USB image and see there if you have any result.
We tried that too.
this is how it look the menu if you press the Fn+Fx in Mint 17.3 Rosa just to have an idea.
Screenshot_2017-03-28_21-55-56.jpg
Helpful, thanks, because I don't actually have her laptop here so I have no idea what she sees (or can't see). That link should help later.
Mint17 KDE
marconetwo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marconetwo »

My experience is it depends on the extent of damage to the screen:
The screen may appear blank, but if the
driver detects it, it may still be trying to use it. With cracked screens, or if ever in doubt,
I remove the top (keyboard and surrounding "chrome"), find where the builtin screen plugs
into the board, and physically unplug it. 9 out of 10, this forces it to use the secondary
attached display. It's not hard: just download the maintenance manual if in doubt, use a magnet
to save all the little screws, and note in a notebook the order you removed things, such as
the orientation of plugs or
any little flat plastic connectors. Also, use the correct screwdriver (either some small "torx"
or philips head(s).) I can't tell you how many (of *my*) laptops end up with missing screws
because I was lazy or not careful. When dealing with someone else's hardware this translates
to unprofessional, so force yourself to be methodical. As long as you put it back togther the same
(but reverse) way you disassemble it, it should be easy (i'm just lazy by nature, so it's extra important
for *me*). If you do this, and it works, it should boost your confidence and add to your "skill set".

Be sure to disconnect the battery before disassembly since the power is never really off for
a laptop or netbook. ;)
Aiso, the screen requires a particularly wide ribbon (plastic) cable. After removing it from its
pressure/friction connector/slot, you probably ought to apply a small strip of masking tape
to the ribbons end (to cover the newly exposed contacts). Often (on Samsung's I think) I've
seen the cable marked as "LVDS" (laptop video display screen?). I usually use a bicycle style
headband flashlight see clearly and keep both hands free. If you are still nervous about doing
this, just search on YouTube for step-by-step examples of replacing the display on almost any
similar laptop.

Good Luck! Report back...,

Marc Teitelbaum
Last edited by JeremyB on Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed email address to prevent spam to poster
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

Marc, thanks so much for this. I've emailed a link to your post to my friend. I hope she has the courage to unscrew her laptop. I know she has the screwdrivers.

If she has success I'll mark this solved.
Mint17 KDE
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

In response to your question, Yes, the Fn key combo will work at the Login screen. Give it a chance to boot-up ( hard drive activity light stops blinking) :-)
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

This is mostly a lack-of-progress report.

She tried the Fn-F5 combination this way:
1. Boot up, wait till the HD light stops flashing.
2. Hit right arrow key once.
3. Hit Enter.

She also tried with right arrow key twice and three times. No luck.

Next step is to pull the laptop apart, which could take a few days until she gets around to it.

Thanks to all for the help. Will keep you posted.
Mint17 KDE
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

*** Hit Fn + F5 key combo *** , then
2. Hit right arrow key once (twice,thrice).
3. Hit Enter.
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

richyrich wrote:
*** Hit Fn + F5 key combo *** , then
Yes, thanks. I just left out a line :oops:
Mint17 KDE

Return to “Xfce”