Multi-Monitor, Make Active Window Block in the Taskbar go to second Monitor

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
minty_22
Level 2
Level 2

Multi-Monitor, Make Active Window Block in the Taskbar go to second Monitor

Post by minty_22 »

Hello! I just moved to Linux Mint last night, there is something that i can't figure out or if it's even possible, and it's a little hard to explain since i don't know the correct names of things

But here is the problem/example:

In windows i had a multi-monitor setup, When i open up firefox, it automatically shows in the taskbar the active window block of firefox, I'm not sure what it's called so i'm going to call it the active window block but here is a picture:

http://tinypic.com/r/33bonfc/9
As you can see in the picture above, the red arrow is pointing to the active window block, which is the firefox block because i have firefox open

Now usually, in windows, when i move the firefox browser to the 2nd monitor that active window block in the taskbar would follow/move to the second monitor, and that block wouldn't show up on taskbar 1 of monitor 1, because firefox is now on monitor 2, so it would show up in the taskbar of monitor 2

is this possible on linux mint?

Currently, in linux mint, if i move the browser to the 2nd monitor, the block stays on the taskbar of monitor 1, and there is nothing, not even a block on monitor 2,

it's a little bit annoying, is there i way i can make the active block follow it's program to whichever monitor it is on,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Multi-Monitor, Make Active Window Block in the Taskbar go to second Monitor

Post by richyrich »

If you right click on that active Firefox icon, is it set to "Only on this workspace" ?

It works as you want with multiple workspaces here for me, but I don't have multiple monitors.
minty_22
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Multi-Monitor, Make Active Window Block in the Taskbar go to second Monitor

Post by minty_22 »

I didn't work because i think that means either workspace a or b, and not monitor 1 or 2

but i found the settings! So what you have to do is,

go to monitor 2
right click add new items
scroll to the very bottom until you see windows buttons click add, click close

once it's added,

right click on panel of monitor 2, panel preferences
click on the items tab
click on windows tab
click on the icon with the description hover "Edit the currently selected item "
then click on the last option "Show windows from all monitors"

you have to do this on all the monitors!!

this is awesome!! it was annoying me having all the active window blocks from all my other monitors on my main monitor taskbar, there is many things since i have 5 monitors!!

now it works perfect!! my system is now way better than ubuntu! so much customization, i am definitely going to donate to the mint developers!!

Return to “Xfce”