What's the easiest way to transfer files between two mint 18 xfce boxes connected by ethernet?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

What's the easiest way to transfer files between two mint 18 xfce boxes connected by ethernet?

Post by pepperminty »

Dear fellow Mint Xfce users,

Do you know how, when you connect a USB drive or insert an SD card, most computers will automatically get everything ready, and even open up the right program (file manager) with a view of the home folder of the USB drive or SD card? Or, you know how, when you turn on wifi on your computer or device, you get a list of wifi networks, and it's as easy as selecting the wifi network, and entering the wifi password? I wish it were that easy when I connect two computers with an ethernet cable.

I don't want to mess with setting up IP addresses or DNS servers or do anything in terminal. I'd like a plug-and-play solution.

I have two Mint 18 Xfce laptops. One is Mint 18.1; the other is Mint 18.0. I connected the two with an Ethernet cable and I would like to transfer files between the two.

As I understand it, the other main Mint flavors (KDE, Cinnamon, Mate) have a GUI, out-of-the-box solution.

Please give me advice as though I'm your great-grandmother.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Citizen229

Re: What's the easiest way to transfer files between two mint 18 xfce boxes connected by ethernet?

Post by Citizen229 »

" I connected the two with an Ethernet cable and I would like to transfer files between the two. "
please define this.
a)Do you mean one computer is plugged directly to the other with a cable?
b) the 2 computers are each plugged into a 3rd device such as a router?
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Re: What's the easiest way to transfer files between two mint 18 xfce boxes connected by ethernet?

Post by pepperminty »

Citizen229 wrote:" I connected the two with an Ethernet cable and I would like to transfer files between the two. "
please define this.
a)Do you mean one computer is plugged directly to the other with a cable?
b) the 2 computers are each plugged into a 3rd device such as a router?

Yes, it's (a).
No, it's not (b).
[Mint 18.1 computer's ethernet port]<--ethernetcable--->[Mint 18.0 computer's ethernet port]
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

A) is possible in KDE,, cin,, and mate? please link, this is new to me.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

Citizen229 wrote:A) is possible in KDE,cin, and mate? please link, this is new to me.
I communicated with people in IRC who said that these flavors' file manager has a way to share easily.
shengchieh

Post by shengchieh »

Will booting liveCD LM KDE on both computer work? Leave LM XFCE alone. Just use the liveCD LM KDE to transfer files between the two computers.

Sheng-Chieh
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

pepperminty wrote:[Mint 18.1 computer's ethernet port]<--ethernetcable--->[Mint 18.0 computer's ethernet port]
You need one of these.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

CaptainKirksChair wrote:
pepperminty wrote:[Mint 18.1 computer's ethernet port]<--ethernetcable--->[Mint 18.0 computer's ethernet port]
You need one of these.
thanks, Cpt K's chair.

But is a crossover cable really necessary? Aren't some ethernet ports capable of doing crossover internally (i.e. without a crossover cable)?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

No crossover needed, as long as your network cards are newer than about 2005, I think it is called Auto-MDI or some such, gigabit network cards have autox, which is even better.

They each need a different IP address, then I would suggest you install Gigolo (in synaptic package manager) on each machine, and use the Gigolo program, which helps you set up shares on each pc. Then the shares should automagically show up in Thunar File Manager.

PS: when installing Gigolo, right-click on it again in Synaptic, and also install any recommended packages. You can check the suggested list too.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

you used to have to have a cross-over cable to direct connects two PCs,
but most modern Ethernet cards will auto-detect the type of connection.

simply connect an Ethernet to both PCs Ethernet port,
but you may still have to perform a little configuration,
& that's true even on a pair of Windows systems.

so, for a pair of Linux systems:
https://www.softprayog.in/troubleshooti ... -lan-cable
should give an idea of what is needed to be done.

but, there are simpler guides, on how to do this.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

Pierre wrote:you used to have to have a cross-over cable to direct connects two PCs,
but most modern Ethernet cards will auto-detect the type of connection.

simply connect an Ethernet to both PCs Ethernet port,
but you may still have to perform a little configuration,
& that's true even on a pair of Windows systems.

so, for a pair of Linux systems:
https://www.softprayog.in/troubleshooti ... -lan-cable
should give an idea of what is needed to be done.

but, there are simpler guides, on how to do this.
Dear Pierre,
Thanks for writing, and for confirming that a crossover cable may be unnecessary.
The linked instructions is the opposite of what I was seeking. Lol. :)
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

gigolo

Post by pepperminty »

richyrich wrote:No crossover needed, as long as your network cards are newer than about 2005, I think it is called Auto-MDI or some such, gigabit network cards have autox, which is even better.

They each need a different IP address, then I would suggest you install Gigolo (in synaptic package manager) on each machine, and use the Gigolo program, which helps you set up shares on each pc. Then the shares should automagically show up in Thunar File Manager.

PS: when installing Gigolo, right-click on it again in Synaptic, and also install any recommended packages. You can check the suggested list too.
Thank you, richyrich! I'm installing gigolo now. One one package is recommended: gvfs-bin (which is installed.) There's no suggested packages.
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

I always used a cross-over cable (or two cables with a cross-over connector) because I knew it would work. Never knew that newer ethernet adapters compensated for this. Learn something new every day.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Should add; most likely a reboot will be needed on each machine once the network IP addresses are configured, and Gigolo is installed. Then set up the Gigolo shared folder(s) on each machine. If not seen by Thunar, try a logout/login or even reboots again . .Then . . Bob's your uncle ! :wink:
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

just want you guys to know this has blown my mind. I had no idea this was possible. Does the link also handle internet pass through? or just protocols for lan?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Back when I did this sort of thing for a living, configuring multiple network cards (NICs) on Linux servers was commonplace (through console, remote terminals). I have no experience with configuring multiple NICs on modern Linux desktops with the current GUI network managers.

But I am sure this can be done as you describe. :-)

Return to “Xfce”