Screen correctly shown on different monitors

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
satsriakal
Level 3
Level 3

Screen correctly shown on different monitors

Post by satsriakal »

Hi everybody,

Linux Mint 18 (XFCE)

When I connect an external monitor, I would like to see the same screen both on the laptop monitor and on the external monitor, but I'm not able to do that.
If I use fn + F5 keys, I get a popup where I can choose among different solutions.
If I choose the "duplicate" solution, I can see the screen on the two displays, but on the laptop display the image is cut below and on right side, since, maybe, it's used the external monitor resolution, istead of the laptop monitor resolution.
Can you suggest me any solution or workaround to see the screen correctly on the two monitors?

I wonder if there is any possibility to show at the same time two different workspaces on the two different monitors, for example "workspace 1" on laptop display and "worspace 2" on external monitor.

Best regards
Beppe
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Screen correctly shown on different monitors

Post by richyrich »

Does it show both displays in Menu > Settings > Display ? Are you unable to make changes there ?
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

Sometimes, this all depends on the aspect ratio of your screen. If the external monitor is 16x9 but the laptop monitor is 16x10, you will get strange results. Go here and key in the width and height of you external screen and see what the aspect ratio is. Then do the same for your laptop screen. (8x5 is the correct ratio for 16x10 but everyone uses 16x10 to show the similarity to what is called HD, or 16x9.) The only fix is to get an external monitor that matches the aspect ratio of the laptop monitor.
satsriakal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by satsriakal »

Actually, the two monitors have different aspect ratio, therefore I have to conclude that there is no solution, isn't it?
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

satsriakal wrote:Actually, the two monitors have different aspect ratio, therefore I have to conclude that there is no solution, isn't it?
Well, the solution is to get an external monitor that matches the aspect ratio of your laptop screen. There is a way to test to be sure. Find the aspect ratio of your laptop screen. Go to a local retailer that also offers computer repair. Ask if you can connect your laptop to a monitor that matches the aspect ratio of your laptop screen. If everything looks good, you'll have to make a decision on what you want to do.

Unfortunately, when you buy external monitors for laptops, most of the sales people are not well informed about aspect ratios. It is important because this very thing can happen.
satsriakal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by satsriakal »

Unfortunately, I use my laptop with different monitors and projectors, so I can't find always monitors with the right apect ratio.
I will use it with the "Extended" configuration.
Thanks for your help

Return to “Xfce”