(Serena) Starting Xfce from console or remote X session replaces Mint panel and desktop theme

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
msummerfield
Level 1
Level 1

(Serena) Starting Xfce from console or remote X session replaces Mint panel and desktop theme

Post by msummerfield » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:35 am

I am trying to set up Linux Mint Serena Xfce on what will be a headless workstation (though currently experimenting in a VirtualBox VM, so it's easy to wind back when I mess things up). Ultimately I want to be able to log in from an X server (currently using VcXsrv running on a Windows PC) via ssh. I have all the networking etc up, and have previously done this successfully with Mint Sarah KDE.

The problem I am having is that logging in via any means other than the mdm manager as installed results in the default Mint panel and desktop theme being overwritten. This happens if I log in from a remote X server over ssh. It also happens if I switch the VM to console login, and start a session with 'startx' or 'startxfce4'. I have tried using all the usual scripts to start the client side of the session, and the result is always the same - see the attached screen shot.

As you can see, I have changed the desktop image, and this is not overwritten. I have also installed Chrome and added a desktop shortcut, which is also retained. However, I did not enable the rubbish bin, file system and file manager icons. The theme has also changed from the Minty-green colour scheme to bland tan. And the dialog pops up saying 'Welcome to the first start of the panel'. If I shut down the X server at this point, all my settings are retained if I go back and log in via mdm. However, if I proceed then my panel and theme are overwritten. This setup is then stable however I subsequently log in, but I do not like it!

Making a backup copy of ~/.config/xfce4 beforehand allows me to restore the settings, but the next time I log in other than via mdm the same thing happens.

All I want is to be able to boot to console, and start a client session from the remote X server, while retaining the Mint theme!

Can anyone help me to get this working?

Thanks,

Mark

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Re: (Serena) Starting Xfce from console or remote X session replaces Mint panel and desktop theme

Post by Flemur » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:58 am

msummerfield wrote:This happens if I log in from a remote X server over ssh. It also happens if I switch the VM to console login, and start a session with 'startx' or 'startxfce4'.
I don't use mdm, don't get the dumb 'panel' message, and start Xfce from the console with:

Code: Select all

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/startxfce4
It's very intuitive!
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 19.1 Xfce/fluxbox
Manjaro openbox/fluxbox

Xzander
Level 1
Level 1

Re: (Serena) Starting Xfce from console or remote X session replaces Mint panel and desktop theme

Post by Xzander » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:34 am

I'm getting the same problem. I am setting up VNC on the machine, and modified the xstartup script to call

Code: Select all

startxfce4 &
. Launching a VNC server instance screwed my xfce mint theme and now I'm stuck with some ugly default stuff that sticks no matter how I log into this user. I don't know how to properly start xfce and avoid this mess.

Return to “Xfce”