Thunar nightmare again

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yosoyese
Level 1
Level 1

Thunar nightmare again

Post by yosoyese »

Since my beloved Thunar was updated from 1.6.3 to 1.6.10 (and later) it is full of bugs. Renaming is a nightmare, moving files from one folder to another is a nightmare, and it crashes a lot. All distros that updated Thunar to 1.6.10 and later (including Mint XFCE since version 17.2) are unusable for serious file archiver work using Thunar. I kept working with Mint XFCE 17.1 (Thunar 1.6.3) because of this.

¿All distros? No. Fortunately Mint 18 started with a fixed (by Mint team, I supposed) version called “Thunar 1.6.10-3mint1” that worked like a charm. I updated to Mint XFCE 18, and 18.1 later. Life was wonderful again.

Meanwhile it’s supposed that the bugs of the official Thunar were fixed in the last version of Thunar for ubuntu family and others: Thunar 1.6.11. Well: IT ISN’T FIXED. Using official Thunar 1.6.11 extensively is still a nightmare in any XFCE distro (and I checked a lot, believe me).

Unfortunately, a few days ago Mint 18.1 updated to official Thunar update (1.6.11-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) and the nightmare came to Mint XFCE again. If you use it extensevily for moving or renaming files it crashes all the time. Because of this I have blocked Thunar update using mintUpdate utility and I keep old Mint Thunar 1.6.10-3mint1 version. At the moment everything is working wonderfully. How long?

In my opinion Mint XFCE should go back to its own fixed Thunar version 1.6.10-3mint1 until next version of Thunar 1.6.12 is released (and checked seriously).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
now3by
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Thunar nightmare again

Post by now3by »

Hi,

I am using 17.3 XFCE on all comp around me, and I also experience bugs in Thunar 1.6.10.

Any advice what is the best version to install over this one and from where I can download it ?
Thank you.
Linux...
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Install simple file manager Double Commander as a fine workaround, and wait for the redeeming fix for Thunar:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install doublecmd-gtk
Note that the Mint devs don't create fixes for Xfce. That happens strictly upstream, at the Xfce project. Which is seriously understaffed, so progress is slow....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
now3by
Level 2
Level 2

Post by now3by »

thank you
I already use mc and krusader so if is possible a solution to fix Thunar by upgrade/downgrade will be preferable.
Linux...
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I'm running Mint 17.3 Xfce on 2 machines. Thunar works exactly the same as it ever did before. The only real relevant change I can think of is that I installed the 4.4 kernel since 3.19 went EOL. That hasn't broken anything yet ... I must admit I half expected my netbook wireless to go with a newern kernel..

Can someone bring up a relevant bug report?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
yosoyese
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yosoyese »

Note that the Mint devs don't create fixes for Xfce
In that case, what is the origin of "Thunar 1.6.10-3mint1", that works properly while any other Thunar 1.6.10 or 1.6.11 are full of bugs?
Install simple file manager Double Commander as a fine workaround
I need (and love) Thunar. I make extensive use of my own custom actions.
Any advice what is the best version to install over this one and from where I can download it ?
In the first message of this thread I explain a way to keep the last good working version of Thunar (1.6.10-3mint1): Install Mint XFCE 18 or 18.1. Before you update the system, block Thunar for updates in the update manager (Preferences > Blacklisted Packages -> write down thunar). Now you can update yor system. Everything works properly for me.

Another way to have a properly working Thunar (old 1.6.3) is to install Mint XFCE 17.1. Don't upgrade to 17.2 nor 17.3 that updates Thunar to the infamous 1.6.10 from Ubuntu.

Maybe there are other easier ways to substitute Thunar. I don't know.
yosoyese
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yosoyese »

Can someone bring up a relevant bug report?
Here there is one of the bugs. It says it is fixed but it isn't, and in the end some people think there is a different bug with the same behaviour (?). I'm sure that it was not properly fixed and Thunar 1.6.11 still crashes a lot in the same way.

https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12264#c41
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Been using thunar for years with no problems. Currently 1.6.11 (1.6.11-0ubuntu0.16.04.1).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

We noticed your feedback during the release, about Thunar crashing and a regression after upgrading to version 1.6.11.

We fixed that issue early in Mint 18, but our understanding was that Ubuntu's version 1.6.11 also had it fixed: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1512120

I'd like more information about this so we can look into it again. And in particular, I'd like to know a sure way to reproduce the issue.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

We're back on github:

https://github.com/clefebvre/thunar

And here's some debs for you to test. Please be as precise as possible. If it helps, identify test cases to show why/when/how.

http://linuxmint.com/tmp/thunar-1.6.11-1mint1.tar.gz
imhere

Post by imhere »

there is a fix available since some days 1.6.11-0ubuntu0.16.04.2

thunar (1.6.11-0ubuntu0.16.04.2) xenial; urgency=medium

* d/p/02_fix-deadlock-in-mutex-causing-thunar-to-hang.patch:
- Fixes process hang after inactivity (LP: #1679488)
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Thunar 1.6.12 has been available for the past 11 days:
https://git.xfce.org/xfce/thunar

IDK what bugs may have been fixed or what patches might have been added, because I do not compile my own software. But there is a sticky around here somewhere that explains how.

According to ToZ at the Xfce community support forum, 1.6.12 "fixed a pretty nasty rename bug."
https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=45665#p45665

BTW, the forum looks different here. Was there a recent upgrade to the forum software, or did I somehow screw up my User CP settings?
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
yosoyese
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yosoyese »

Sorry Clem, I was very bussy.

Today I installed in a laptop a pristine updated Mint XFCE 18.2 for tests, but I'm just a simple user and I don't know what to do with your thunar-1.6.11-1mint1.tar.gz file. I uncompressed it and tried to install the .deb files with double-clicks but gdebi says (for all of them) that there are missing dependencies, so I couldn't install them. I don't know what else to do.

By the way, thunar1.6.11-0ubuntu0.16.04.2 (that is part of my just updated Mint XFCE 18.2 for tests) leaves "ghost" files sooner or later when you move dozens of files from one folder to another. When you try to move this "ghosts" files then appears an error message (about a "non-existant file") and the "ghost" files remain in the Thunar window until you close it. If you open the folder again the "ghosts" aren't there.
TLMAC

Post by TLMAC »

I really like Thunar and work around the naming and the file transfer from one folder to another - issues.

I use the properties option when changing the name of a file or folder (right click on file/folder and select properties - it should open to the general tab). When the properties window opens the name is highlighted and one can simply type in the change, hit enter and then close the window.. If you need to edit the name and not change the entire name - left click on the name in the window and change as desired, then hit enter and close said window.

As for moving files/folders, I simply copy and paste. It works and I don't waste time waiting for updates or bug fixes. Which may (may not) ever be resolved/released.

I'm aware that both options are slightly more cumbersome, but both do work.

What seems odd is that one can easily change the name in properties window, but not with the "Rename" option... Perhaps they should investigate the code for the properties window and replace the "Rename" option with said code. LOL
Reason for LOL is I'm not a coder and have no idea if that suggestion is doable...

Mac
yosoyese
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yosoyese »

Thank you for yor advice, TLMAC, but I have to rename, renumber, etc, dozens or hundreds of files. I use renamer utilities for the tasks and I'm going crazy with these Thunar bugs.
TLMAC

Post by TLMAC »

yosoyese:

I get it and was only suggesting that work a rounds are available. It's been my experience that waiting on bug fixes and/or updates to solve issues - is questionable at best. Sadly, I've been excited to install a bug fix that corrected one issue - only to create another.

It can be truly frustrating learning and relying on a specific software package, to find "later" that an update breaks it's functionality. Doubt this will change in Linux anytime soon, due to the very nature of open source software (OSS). Seems fixes, are often treated as just an "annoyance". Diverting resources to fix an existing problem - that could be corrected in the next release. Only, to find more bugs in the next release. I'm reminded of the book written by Joseph Heller - "Catch 22"...

One issue that truly impacts our community - is the beta testing and user involvement issue. Should few take the time to help with development/improvement, why is one surprised when problems arise? It's always easy to complain, until one realizes that the community shares responsibility for software short and long term development. It's not Windows and as a community we need to step up and get involved. Complaining serves little more than notification. However, if Linux is to continue growing - programmers must recognize that stability and functionality are mandatory. Cutting edge leaves little room for error.

Just my $.02 - for what it's worth.

Good Luck
Mac
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

yosoyese wrote:I have to rename, renumber, etc, dozens or hundreds of files.
I'm not going to swear to it, but people can add functionality to their installed version of Thunar via... I don't remember what they're called. Okay (just checked), "Configure Custom Actions" in Thunar's Edit menu. And I'm pretty sure that people have created ones for bulk file renaming and posted them in threads at Xfce's community support forum ( https://forum.xfce.org/ ). You might check there to see if you can find something that will make your tasks easier. Also, there are a couple of people who tend to download brand new versions of things from github or wherever Xfce things get posted, examine the source code, compile it, and try those new versions out. So you might be able to learn about these "just finished the thing five minutes ago" versions without having to either try them out yourself or wait on them to trickle down to general availability in our repos.
TLMAC wrote:Just my $.02 - for what it's worth.
Wisdom such as what you posted above is worth a lot more than a couple of pennies!

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
yosoyese
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yosoyese »

I get it and was only suggesting that work a rounds are available
(...) It's always easy to complain,.
No, there aren't and I told you why. If you have to rename hundreds of files your workaround doesn't help. Please, notice that I've been using Linux for more almost 15 years for work and for pleasure. I'm not an expert, just a user, but I'm not a novice. I'm just saying that there are bugs in Thunar that Mint team (and nobody else in any other XFCE distribution, btw) fixed before. They reappeared and I'm sending an alert. What's the problem?
I'm not going to swear to it, but people can add functionality to their installed version of Thunar via... I don't remember what they're called. Okay (just checked), "Configure Custom Actions" (...)
You might check there to see if you can find something that will make your tasks easier.
At least you should read all the thread before you comment in it. I said that I make extensive use of custom actions. And I said I make extensive use of renaming utilities as well. But Thunar bugs appear no matter if you use custom actions or other tools for renaming, renumbering, moving files, etc. Do you want these bugs fixed or just to find a workaround?

I don't understand you both, TLMAC and MtnDewManiac. Do you feel bad if somebody says that Thunar is buggy? What is going on here? Let Mint team to address the problem like they did before (and better than anybody was able to do), please. Let me help them if it is possible, forget this thread, and forget me.
TLMAC

Post by TLMAC »

yosoyese:

I can't & won't speak for MtnDewManiac. But personally, I don't get fixated on any individual software package. Much less feel bad. I would invest in seeking an alternative for any package that struggled with stability (assuming it impacted me on a regular basis).

Background:
I've been Linux "ONLY" for over ten years - with no Windows systems in my home. I've also participated in numerous open source software (OSS) development programs and always took the time to provide feedback (as requested). Have even sent funding to projects that appeared to (IMHO) have real potential. One might say I'm committed.
yosoyese wrote:
"Let me help them if it is possible, forget this thread, and forget me."
Yet, based on your existing posts in this thread all you've doing is waiting for the Mint Team to make a fix. When offered an alternative, your only reaction was to express your enthusiasm for Thunar. Which seems somewhat hypocritical when asking MtnDewManiac and myself if we feel bad about bugs in Thunar. Perhaps, an alternative package may actually meet all your expectations without issue. IMHO, all Linux users should be open to alternatives.
yosoyese wrote:
"Let Mint team to address the problem like they did before (and better than anybody was able to do), please."
Not sure of the verbage, but it suggest that you believe the Mint team is now responsible for fixing Thunar bugs (simply because they've done it). I suspect the Mint team is doing all they can just to keep Thunar function in the Mint environment. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't XFCE & Benedikt Meurer the actual developers of Thunar and shouldn't you be contacting/helping them - thus helping the entire community?

I wish you the best and per request will exit your thread.

Good Luck
Mac
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

TLMAC wrote:Which seems somewhat hypocritical when asking MtnDewManiac and myself if we feel bad about bugs in Thunar.
My motivation was feeling bad that yoyosese was having trouble and appeared to be rather frustrated, and so I wished to help and hoped he could get his issues fixed. But he has succeeded in causing me to stop wishing the former and to not care one way or the other about the latter, so I'll unsubscribe from this thread and go do something more enjoyable with my time.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

Return to “Xfce”