LightDM on 18.2 XFCE

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Drygar_2016
Level 2
Level 2

LightDM on 18.2 XFCE

Post by Drygar_2016 »

Hi,

I tried Linux Mint 18.2 XFCE
and I noticed some differences which I don't enjoy

The Login Windows was changed. I noticed it here https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sonya_xfce_whatsnew.php
as well as as in All Settings -> Login Window

With LM 17 and 18.1 I am used to mdmsetup and using Split (GDM) theme. I use XFCE because I feel it is light and lighter than MATE or Cinnamon and still I like XFCE's simplicity. With Split (GDM) theme when I first start the PC, when I enter the password, full desktop loads for max 5 seconds.

With LM 18.2 XFCE with the new login screen, it needs 10+ seconds after entering the password to load full destop

Also, the screensaver - with LM 17 and 18.1, the screensaver is xscreensaver. With locked screen I press the password and in just 1 second (or even faster/instant) the desktop is unlocked. In LM 18.2 with the new fancy screensaver I wait for 5 seconds to see my icons.

This is very bad and is not like XFCE is - XFCE is simple and fast.

The new login screen and new lock screen in XFCE 18.2 is like using GNOME (Ubuntu and Ubuntu GNOME). I don't understand why...

I hope LM doesn't go into the Ubuntu direction because many people avoid Ubuntu just because LM stands on Ubuntu but have fixed all the "bad" things in Ubuntu and Ubuntu derivates.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: LightDM on 18.2 XFCE

Post by kc1di »

You can still install mdm if you wish it's in the repository. Though I'm not sure it will receive updates.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

kc1di wrote:You can still install mdm if you wish it's in the repository. Though I'm not sure it will receive updates.
It will get regular maintenance until 2021 (read: security fixes), but that's probably all.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

If I look at the number of updates for mdm in Mint 18, since it exists, namely none in 12 months, I do not expect anything.
Drygar_2016
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drygar_2016 »

Thanks all.

I was thinking about installing or replacing it but decided to look elsewhere and skip it and revert back to 18.1
Also considering the other design flaw (not considered a bug by development team) > viewtopic.php?f=47&t=249241

On this computer now LM 17.2 (=my favorite release) does not boot for some reason and only 18, 18.1 and 18.2 boot, so I don't have much of choice. But on my other PC I run 17.2)

I simply don't understand what of an improvement this is so that they decided to move from one thing to another.

Return to “Xfce”