Windows can't move or size when switching workspace

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pkfo

Windows can't move or size when switching workspace

Post by pkfo »

When switching workspace, every second time, the the window cannot be moved or sized.
NB, updated from 18.1 to 18.2

Update:

How to easily reproduce: if on workspace #1 (ws1) and you can move windows, then switch to ws2 and back to ws1. Now try to move or size the window, if you can you are not affected. To fix it just do the same one more time. Or press Ctrl+F1 (switch to ws1)

The bug can be reproduced on a live-medium, so easy to check other distributions.

The bug is related to ws1 and ws1 only, is does not matter how you switch to and from ws1, every time ws1 is activated the bug toggles on/off.

The bug can be related to Xfce, Ubuntu or Mint
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
woferCZ

Re: Windows can't move or size when switching workspace

Post by woferCZ »

I am experiencing something very similar.

I am using the Xfwm4 window manager.
I have recently installed fresh 18.2 64bit XFCE and restored most of home content from duplicity backup including some configuration (~/.config, etc.).

The window manager freezes every time I switch to different workspace. However I also experience the same issue after lunching some wine applications (maybe after others but I do not notice right away).
Sometimes when attempting to drag or resize a window it can be moved for a little bit (every attempt moves/resizes the window for few pixels)

I have removed ~/.config and restarted X session with no effect.
The ~/.cache/upstart/startxfce4.log which seems to hold some sort of logging information from Xfwm4 does log any information when switching workspaces or moving freezing windows.
Running xfwm4 --replace or changing window manager throw Desktop Settings temporarily fixes the issue.

I am looking for any advices on the subject or any help to diagnose the problem.
GeryTeX

Post by GeryTeX »

Hello, I have the same problem on a freshly installed 18.2 Sonya / XFCE.

Here is what I noticed:
* same "only a few-pixels" move or resize when it's stuck
* It seems to get stuck only when changing desktop with the keyboard shortcut, not by clicking on the desktop switcher widget
* seems specifically to be caused by Ctrl-F1 shortcut (not the -F2 / -F3 variants); Pressing it a second time resets to free movements.
* It also occured when I tried to reconfigure the desktop shortcuts to something else; I finally reset to the default shortcut because "something" seemed to always forget my configuration and only responds to the default (Ctrl-F1 /...) ones.

Probably Ctrl-F1 is also mapped to another action that interferes with move/resize.
nazgand
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nazgand »

I had the same problem and the only way I knew to get the windows to move again other than rebooting/logout was to open `Desktop Settings' and change from `Xfwm4 + Compositing' to `Xfwm4' or vice versa.

Now I know that pressing Ctrl+F1 a second time fixes the problem. Thanks.
I was not able to find what else Ctrl+F1 a hotkey for.
umop3plsdn

Post by umop3plsdn »

OMG Both pressing the Ctrl+F1 a second time and xfwm4 --replace seems to fix the issue. Thank you it was driving me nuts! I was also able to confirm that it was every other time and reproducible. All you have to do is press Ctrl+F1 then switch to Ctrl+F2 and then back to F1 and bam everything only moves a couple pixels at a time. You press it again and switch windows and everything works again. But do it one more time and it locks up again. Rinse and repeat
kevinbowen

Post by kevinbowen »

Can anyone point me to an official bug filed with either Xfce or on Launchpad on this issue?

I've been affected by this on 18.3 for about 6-12 months. This also has happened once since I upgraded to 19 last week. It happens somewhat sporadically, and I haven't been able to collect any good data to file a proper bug report. Thanks for posting this. The same mentioned workarounds work for me as well.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

kevinbowen wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:41 pm Can anyone point me to an official bug filed with either Xfce or on Launchpad on this issue?

I've been affected by this on 18.3 for about 6-12 months. This also has happened once since I upgraded to 19 last week. It happens somewhat sporadically, and I haven't been able to collect any good data to file a proper bug report. Thanks for posting this. The same mentioned workarounds work for me as well.
This hit me today. I can reproduce this on demand. It's really bad. At this stage I've been unable to locate a bug report.

Installing Compton and using Metacity+Compton prevents it from occurring but it breaks CTRL-Fx to switch desktops. Adding a workspace switcher gets around not being able to use CTRL-Fx.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
addysmith97

Post by addysmith97 »

You can move and resize windows to help you work more efficiently. Move a window by dragging the title bar, or drag anywhere in the window. Hold down Shift while moving to snap the window to the edges of the screen and other windows. And you can resize a window by dragging the edges or corner of the window. Hold down Shift while resizing to snap the window to the edges of the screen and other windows. You can also Press Alt+F7 to move a window or Alt+F8 to resize or press Enter to finish, or press Esc to return to the original position and size.
kevinbowen

Post by kevinbowen »

addysmith97 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:42 am You can move and resize windows to help you work more efficiently. Move a window by dragging the title bar, or drag anywhere in the window. Hold down Shift while moving to snap the window to the edges of the screen and other windows. And you can resize a window by dragging the edges or corner of the window. Hold down Shift while resizing to snap the window to the edges of the screen and other windows. You can also Press Alt+F7 to move a window or Alt+F8 to resize or press Enter to finish, or press Esc to return to the original position and size.
Thanks for the suggestion, but that will not work.

The windows are completely frozen. No resizing, moving will be allowed until either the Ctrl-F1 keyboard combination is used or the command "xfwm4 --replace" is run from a terminal. Alt-Space-M might be a short-term workaround as well; but, this bug isn't easily reproducible.

Any tips on debugging or which logs to examine would be appreciated.
pkfo

Post by pkfo »

Actually it’s easy to reproduce, I have update my original post with a “how to” and more in dept information.
mrx79
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mrx79 »

Hallo together,
i have the same issue... will test the workaround by pressing Ctrl+F1 a second time.
But anyhow, is there any progress in fixing or investigating the rootcause?
Is it actualy a problem of linux mint? i don't think so... so has anybody reported it maybe to the XFCE developers in the meantime?

Best regards
mrx79
johankimigo

Post by johankimigo »

pkfo wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:14 pm When switching workspace, every second time, the the window cannot be moved or sized.
NB, updated from 18.1 to 18.2

Update:

How to easily reproduce: if on workspace #1 (ws1) and you can move windows, then switch to ws2 and back to ws1. Now try to move or size the window, if you can you are not affected. To fix it just do the same one more time. Or press Ctrl+F1 (switch to ws1)

The bug can be reproduced on a live-medium, so easy to check other distributions.

The bug is related to ws1 and ws1 only, is does not matter how you switch to and from ws1, every time ws1 is activated the bug toggles on/off.

The bug can be related to Xfce, Ubuntu or Mint
Running xfwm4 --replace or changing window manager throw Desktop Settings temporarily fixes the issue.

Return to “Xfce”