Windows can't move or size when switching workspace

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
pkfo
Level 1
Level 1

Windows can't move or size when switching workspace

Post by pkfo » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:14 pm

When switching workspace, every second time, the the window cannot be moved or sized.
NB, updated from 18.1 to 18.2

woferCZ
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Windows can't move or size when switching workspace

Post by woferCZ » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:59 pm

I am experiencing something very similar.

I am using the Xfwm4 window manager.
I have recently installed fresh 18.2 64bit XFCE and restored most of home content from duplicity backup including some configuration (~/.config, etc.).

The window manager freezes every time I switch to different workspace. However I also experience the same issue after lunching some wine applications (maybe after others but I do not notice right away).
Sometimes when attempting to drag or resize a window it can be moved for a little bit (every attempt moves/resizes the window for few pixels)

I have removed ~/.config and restarted X session with no effect.
The ~/.cache/upstart/startxfce4.log which seems to hold some sort of logging information from Xfwm4 does log any information when switching workspaces or moving freezing windows.
Running xfwm4 --replace or changing window manager throw Desktop Settings temporarily fixes the issue.

I am looking for any advices on the subject or any help to diagnose the problem.

GeryTeX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GeryTeX » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:53 pm

Hello, I have the same problem on a freshly installed 18.2 Sonya / XFCE.

Here is what I noticed:
* same "only a few-pixels" move or resize when it's stuck
* It seems to get stuck only when changing desktop with the keyboard shortcut, not by clicking on the desktop switcher widget
* seems specifically to be caused by Ctrl-F1 shortcut (not the -F2 / -F3 variants); Pressing it a second time resets to free movements.
* It also occured when I tried to reconfigure the desktop shortcuts to something else; I finally reset to the default shortcut because "something" seemed to always forget my configuration and only responds to the default (Ctrl-F1 /...) ones.

Probably Ctrl-F1 is also mapped to another action that interferes with move/resize.

nazgand
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nazgand » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:54 am

I had the same problem and the only way I knew to get the windows to move again other than rebooting/logout was to open `Desktop Settings' and change from `Xfwm4 + Compositing' to `Xfwm4' or vice versa.

Now I know that pressing Ctrl+F1 a second time fixes the problem. Thanks.
I was not able to find what else Ctrl+F1 a hotkey for.

Return to “Xfce”