Thunar file-copy error: "Failed to add new shortcut"

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Thunar file-copy error: "Failed to add new shortcut"

Post by mingle »

Hi guys,

I've run into a rather annoying error when trying to use drag-n-drop to copy a file to a USB flash-drive in Thunar 1.6.11.

When I drag and drop the file from the file-pane onto the flash-drive's icon in the side-pane, I get the error: "Failed to add new shortcut" (see attached pic)

Works fine if I open the USB flash-drive in a new tab, then drag from file-pane to file-pane, however this means extra steps, which shouldn't be necessary/

Is this expected behaviour or is it a bug?

Cheers,

Mike.
thunar_error.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Thunar file-copy error: "Failed to add new shortcut"

Post by ajgreeny »

I suspect that you did not quite get the drag to the Sandisk icon exactly right but missed by a millimetre or so and this tried to add the file as another shortcut.

Take a bit more care when you do it again and make sure the icon for the USB is highlighted before you release the mouse button. THis is much easier to do if you have thunar side pane set to Tree rather than Shortcuts but both should work if carefully done.
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Thunar file-copy error: "Failed to add new shortcut"

Post by mingle »

Well, it was almost as simple as that...

Tree-view worked, although I have another issue with tree-view, but that's another story!

However, when the side-pane is in shortcut view, the drag and drop doesn't even allow me to access any of the removable drives shown - I didn't notice that before.

When I tried to drag and drop onto the USB drive under the "DEVICES" section of the side-pane, the 'black-line' indicating where the 'drop' will actually occur was in the "PLACES" section of the side-pane.

Which I guess is why it gave me the shortcut error. It seems that the 'DEVICE" entries are out of bounds for drag and drop functionality.

Cheers,

Mike.

Return to “Xfce”