XFCE compositors

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

XFCE compositors

Post by mr_raider »

Does anyone know what the options xfwm4+compositing and xfwm4+compton do? I guess they are both compositors vs xfwm4 alone which is no compositor. I know compiz from old ubuntu days.

FWIW I'm using and AMD CPU/APU and I run full screen apps like kodi and games so I don't need the compositor interfering.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: XFCE compositors

Post by xenopeek »

xfwm4+compositing enables Xfwm's own compositing. It may cause issues with video tearing.

Compton is a standalone lightweight compositor that you can use with different window managers.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

xfwm4 + compositing uses the Window Manager Tweaks program (others do not), where you can still use the other tweaks available, and turn off compositing in the Compositor tab.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Is their anyway to suspend the compositor? For games and such?

KDE had alt shift f12
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

The only easy way that I know is the single checkbox in Window Manager Tweaks.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

mr_raider wrote:Is their anyway to suspend the compositor? For games and such?

KDE had alt shift f12
Do you still need to do that? I thought compositors were smart and disabled themselves when a program went fullscreen.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

xenopeek wrote:
mr_raider wrote:Is their anyway to suspend the compositor? For games and such?

KDE had alt shift f12
Do you still need to do that? I thought compositors were smart and disabled themselves when a program went fullscreen.
Thats explicitly stated in KDE, with a disable in fullscreen option. I can't find the option in XFCE.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

In the Window Manager Tweaks, have you tested the Compositor setting "Display full screen overlay windows directly" ?
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

richyrich wrote:In the Window Manager Tweaks, have you tested the Compositor setting "Display full screen overlay windows directly" ?
Aha. That's an obscure option but looks like it's right.

Does Compton have a similar option?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

AFAIK , Compton does not have a GUI (have you googled for Compton settings?). Window Manager Tweaks is only for the Xfce Compositor.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

richyrich wrote:AFAIK , Compton does not have a GUI (have you googled for Compton settings?). Window Manager Tweaks is only for the Xfce Compositor.
I found a package called compton-conf in the Ubuntu repo that seems to be able to modify some settings. Unfortunately you need to log out and in to make changes take effect. Still seems like a WIP.

Sticking to xfwm4 for now. Seems to do the job OK.

Return to “Xfce”