Strange "feature" on Xfce desktop

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
k-314

Strange "feature" on Xfce desktop

Post by k-314 »

My desktop with panel #1 on bottom and panel #2 on top.

I perform the following steps:

- reboot

- palemoon starter on desktop says -> palemoon

- add that starter to panel 1

- I get "filemanager" in panel 1 !!

- remove that starter in panel 1

- again add starter "palemoon" to panel 1

- I get "palemoon"

This behaviour can be done in a loop.

I did a short screen recording and uploaded the video to youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVcN3Zsp6qU

Is that now a bug or is that a feature? Can anyone here verify that odd behaviour?

br
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Strange "feature" on Xfce desktop

Post by xenopeek »

Is this only for palemoon or also for normal programs? Like, what happens with thunderbird if you try the same.
k-314

Post by k-314 »

Thanx for having a look.

Just tried that with TB, same behaviour.

First "filemanager", remove it, do it again and get "TB".
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I can't reproduce that. Not sure what could be causing it. You're using the Open With "Create Launcher on the pane" option when right-clicking the launcher icon on the desktop? Does it behave differently when you instead right-click it in your menu and do "Add to Panel" from there?

I suspect something is wrong somewhere either with some setting or more likely file association. It seems likely this would tied specifically to your user account. You could try to create a new user account and log in to that and see if you can reproduce the issue to confirm that. If you can confirm, that doesn't immediately bring a solution but would at least let you focus on where to look for a solution.
jeanpaulberes

Post by jeanpaulberes »

xenopeek wrote:I can't reproduce that. Not sure what could be causing it. You're using the Open With "Create Launcher on the pane" option when right-clicking the launcher icon on the desktop? Does it behave differently when you instead right-click it in your menu and do "Add to Panel" from there?

I suspect something is wrong somewhere either with some setting or more likely file association. It seems likely this would tied specifically to your user account. You could try to create a new user account and log in to that and see if you can reproduce the issue to confirm that. If you can confirm, that doesn't immediately bring a solution but would at least let you focus on where to look for a solution.
Dear Xenopeek,
I can confirm it is a bug, because for every application I want to pin to a taskbar, for instance my second taskbar, within XFCE I have to do it twice ...
sometimes even more ... this especially occurs when you rightclick on the app within the Whiskermenu and you choose to add it to the taskbar !!!
I can reproduce this at least 100 times ;-)
Regards,
JP
k-314

Post by k-314 »

xenopeek wrote:I can't reproduce that. Not sure what could be causing it. You're using the Open With "Create Launcher on the pane" option when right-clicking the launcher icon on the desktop? Does it behave differently when you instead right-click it in your menu and do "Add to Panel" from there?
From whisker same "feature"
xenopeek wrote:I suspect something is wrong somewhere either with some setting or more likely file association. It seems likely this would tied specifically to your user account. You could try to create a new user account and log in to that and see if you can reproduce the issue to confirm that. If you can confirm, that doesn't immediately bring a solution but would at least let you focus on where to look for a solution.
Setting up the desktop or using it in a "fresh state"?

=================================================

Have a obsolete machine here Pentium 4 - 3 Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon X1300, 160 GB HDD

I put LM 18.2 Xfce on it, set up the desktop as on my machine #1 .... (two panels, two virtual desktops,made a full update, installed palemoon, midnight commander, radiotray, kaffeine, elementary theme. That is it!)

.... and I can reproduce that "feature" on machine #2

PS. Created a new user, logout, login new user, placed palemoon onto desktop, right click on palemoon to create starter on panel. No issue, works as supposed.
Last edited by k-314 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
k-314

Post by k-314 »

jeanpaulberes wrote:Dear Xenopeek,
I can confirm it is a bug, because for every application I want to pin to a taskbar, for instance my second taskbar, within XFCE I have to do it twice ...
sometimes even more ... this especially occurs when you rightclick on the app within the Whiskermenu and you choose to add it to the taskbar !!!
I can reproduce this at least 100 times ;-)
Regards,
JP
Getting to think, it is a bug ...

br KH

Return to “Xfce”