how to add 2nd instance of an app to desktop?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ginahoy
Level 4
Level 4

how to add 2nd instance of an app to desktop?

Post by ginahoy »

I added Filezilla on my desktop and added the command line option -c {site} so that it opens FPT on a particular server. I renamed the desktop icon as the site abbreviation, for example, ABC. However, when I try to add a 2nd instance of Filezilla for a second site, I get an error message "This folder already contains a file ABC". That make no sense because the new instance would be named "Filezilla" (right-click on Filezilla in the start menu, add to desktop). Is it not possible to have more than one instance of a given program launcher on LM desktop?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 18.2 Xfce x64 | ASRock Z270 Extreme4 | Core i7 7700K | Cryorig H7 cooler| 32GB DDR4 2400| modded legacy Evercase LE4252 | EVGA 450W B3 | ADATA SX8200 Pro SSD
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: how to add 2nd instance of an app to desktop?

Post by rene »

Certainly it is; seems you just didn't rename the actual .desktop file. Cinnamon? I'd copy ~/Desktop/ABC.desktop to ~/Desktop/DEF.desktop, then right-click DEF, Poperties, edit as appropriate.

[EDIT] Certainly wish the "XFCE" location of posts like this would be a bit more obvious from the forum frontpage; keep missing it (but answer doesn't change, I believe).
ginahoy
Level 4
Level 4

Re: how to add 2nd instance of an app to desktop?

Post by ginahoy »

rene wrote:seems you just didn't rename the actual .desktop file.
What I did was right-click-Rename from Filezilla desktop icon. One would think that would rename the launcher file. Before I saw your post, I found an even easier way to accomplish: simply right-click-Copy the desktop icon, then right-click-Paste on the desktop. This creates a duplicate that can then be reconfigured from Properties.

But you're correct. None of these actions change the underlying filename, at least not in the way I thought. After making my modifications, I now see that the underlying filenames are filezilla.desktop, and filezilla (copy 1).desktop. That explains why "Add to Desktop" from Start menu didn't work. It's not smart enough to create a copy. In any case, it seems like LM (or X Windows?) could have been designed so that renaming a desktop launcher changes the underlying filename accordingly: abc.desktop.

BTW, I added XFCE to my signature to assist those of you who generously help newbies like me :)
Linux Mint 18.2 Xfce x64 | ASRock Z270 Extreme4 | Core i7 7700K | Cryorig H7 cooler| 32GB DDR4 2400| modded legacy Evercase LE4252 | EVGA 450W B3 | ADATA SX8200 Pro SSD

Return to “Xfce”