Updated to 18.3 Xfce and sound icon went bye bye..

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
User avatar
12 Monkeys
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:46 pm

Updated to 18.3 Xfce and sound icon went bye bye..

Post by 12 Monkeys » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:27 pm

Hello!

After the update the sound icon on the panel disappeared.
*Add new items* doesn't show the sound app at all.
Indicator plugin gives me only one item and it is the network thingy..
I get sound on my box, no problem but can only use the youtube/etc
dials to + or - the level.
Have been trawling the forum for answers. Tried quite a few post solutions
without any success :(
Any help my friends?

Mikael

deepakdeshp
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3491
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:00 am

Re: Updated to 18.3 Xfce and sound icon went bye bye..

Post by deepakdeshp » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:28 pm

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
I am using Mint 19 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

User avatar
12 Monkeys
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:46 pm

Re: Updated to 18.3 Xfce and sound icon went bye bye..

Post by 12 Monkeys » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:11 pm

Thx deep for the post but no... Tried it in terminal.
Looks like it is a ubuntu answer that don't work for me.
Also, strange but I cant see sound either under Settings or System??

User avatar
j8a
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:58 am

Re: Updated to 18.3 Xfce and sound icon went bye bye..

Post by j8a » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:04 pm

I have the same problem with the panel sound
Kernel: 4.10.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.28) Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine: System: Dell product: Inspiron 1501
Mobo: Dell model: 0UW744?????? Bios: Dell v: 2.6.1 date: 08/23/2006
CPU: Single core AMD Turion 64 Mobile MK-36 (-UP-) cache: 512 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 svm) bmips: 3191 speed/max: 1600/2000 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RS482M [Mobility Radeon Xpress 200]
bus-ID: 01:05.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1280x800@60.96hz
GLX Renderer: ATI RS480
GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.0-38-generic


Menu -> Pulse Audio Volume Control and you could find the settings.

I also tried what is suggested on the askubuntu post and no sound icon appeared
gsettings set com.canonical.indicator.sound visible true

I could not figured out what had happend after the last upgrade.

User avatar
MrEen
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1027
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:39 pm

Re: Updated to 18.3 Xfce and sound icon went bye bye..

Post by MrEen » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:31 pm

I posted this a while back for someone else and it (surprisingly) worked for his troubles:

I'm definitely out of my depth here but try this in the terminal:

Code: Select all

pulseaudio --start
When you get back to a prompt, try:

Code: Select all

pavucontrol
I have no idea why it worked for him, but it couldn't hurt to try here.

User avatar
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Texas, USA

Re: Updated to 18.3 Xfce and sound icon went bye bye..

Post by Night Wing » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:09 am

I'm also running 18.3 Xfce and my sound indicator disappeared too.

Edit: Menu > Multimedia > Dragged "PulseAudio Control Volume" down to my Panel where a red line appeared and let my finger off the mouse button. When that happened a window opened up asking me to "create launcher". I did and then a speaker sound box icon appeared. Moved it to where I wanted it and this is the only way I can control the sound.

I much prefer the old original button when Mint was installed to this fix. Clicking on this speaker sound box icon brings up a window which shows information like "port, my sound card", etc. I'm leery of touching anything in there.

In my opinion, what ever update created this bug and deleted the original sound icon to cause this problem should never have seen the light of day.
Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce

asinoro
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:43 am

Re: Updated to 18.3 Xfce and sound icon went bye bye..

Post by asinoro » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:16 am

Try to rename the pulseaudio folder .config/pulse to pulse.back when you reboot will make a new one.

User avatar
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Texas, USA

Re: Updated to 18.3 Xfce and sound icon went bye bye..

Post by Night Wing » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:57 am

asinoro wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:16 am
Try to rename the pulseaudio folder .config/pulse to pulse.back when you reboot will make a new one.
I'm not a linux power user so I have no idea where the pulseaudio folder is or how to get to it.

BTW, on a sidenote, I noticed the original sound icon which was installed with Mint 18.3 Xfce, what ever update caused this bug, the sound icon only disappeared on my two tower desktop computers. The original sound icon on my two laptops running 18.3 Xfce did "not" disappear. I'm thinking whoever maintains the update which caused the disappearing sound icon, he/she was using a laptop computer and never checked for this on a tower desktop computer.
Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce

asinoro
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:43 am

Re: Updated to 18.3 Xfce and sound icon went bye bye..

Post by asinoro » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:16 am

Home folder > View > Show Hidden Files.

User avatar
12 Monkeys
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:46 pm

Re: Updated to 18.3 Xfce and sound icon went bye bye..

Post by 12 Monkeys » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:16 pm

Thank you guys for the posts!
Turns out I am not alone...

After the latest updates at least I can see Pulse audio again :)
asinoro wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:16 am
Home folder > View > Show Hidden Files.
Doesn't really help mate. And then? What/where do I go after that?
I am a newbie :P
Night Wing wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:09 am
I'm also running 18.3 Xfce and my sound indicator disappeared too.

Edit: Menu > Multimedia > Dragged "PulseAudio Control Volume" down to my Panel where a red line appeared and let my finger off the mouse button. When that happened a window opened up asking me to "create launcher". I did and then a speaker sound box icon appeared. Moved it to where I wanted it and this is the only way I can control the sound.

I much prefer the old original button when Mint was installed to this fix. Clicking on this speaker sound box icon brings up a window which shows information like "port, my sound card", etc. I'm leery of touching anything in there.

In my opinion, what ever update created this bug and deleted the original sound icon to cause this problem should never have seen the light of day.
Jepp. "Dragged....." This is my solution as well. Miss the old and easy way to see the volume...

Mikael

User avatar
j8a
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:58 am

Re: Updated to 18.3 Xfce and sound icon went bye bye..

Post by j8a » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:36 pm

HI,
pulseaudio --start
N: [pulseaudio] main.c: User-configured server at {3d53d03b46584e4e86cb472821671e67}unix:/run/user/1000/pulse/native, which appears to be local. Probing deeper.

I also move the ~/.config/pulse directory to ~/config/pulse.bak directory and after I restarted I found no volume audio icon on the Panel.

At last, because it did not work I did as Night Wing recommended: I search Pulse Audio Control and dragged to the Panel as a launcher. I hope it will appear in the next boot.

Hope it could help the others.

User avatar
Marziano
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1827
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:00 pm

Re: Updated to 18.3 Xfce and sound icon went bye bye..

Post by Marziano » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:06 pm

In order to put an icon on the panel to control Pulseaudio, you could install xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin
You can use this applet to control your Pulseaudio volume levels with the media keys or using the scrollwheel. You can also open a Pulseaudio mixer via the plugin.
(source: Synaptic)
Once installed, just right-click on an empty space on the panel choose panel:Add New Items...and add it to your panel. The icon is a bit larger than the original one, but it is functional.
I suppose that's one of the ironies of life, doing the wrong thing at the right moment -C.C.

User avatar
12 Monkeys
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:46 pm

Re: Updated to 18.3 Xfce and sound icon went bye bye..

Post by 12 Monkeys » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:54 pm

Marziano wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:06 pm
In order to put an icon on the panel to control Pulseaudio, you could install xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin
You can use this applet to control your Pulseaudio volume levels with the media keys or using the scrollwheel. You can also open a Pulseaudio mixer via the plugin.
(source: Synaptic)
Once installed, just right-click on an empty space on the panel choose panel:Add New Items...and add it to your panel. The icon is a bit larger than the original one, but it is functional.
Thank you! This works
Cheers
Mikael

User avatar
Marziano
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1827
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:00 pm

Re: Updated to 18.3 Xfce and sound icon went bye bye..

Post by Marziano » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:57 pm

You are welcome!
Cheers
I suppose that's one of the ironies of life, doing the wrong thing at the right moment -C.C.

Post Reply

Return to “Xfce”