How to stop mouse click raising a window

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dangerman

How to stop mouse click raising a window

Post by dangerman »

Hello. I've just moved to Mint 18.3 XFCE (was previously on 17.3).

One of the things I like about Linux desktops is that I can click on a window without automatically bringing it to the front and obscuring other windows that I might want to see (like the good old days of the Commodore Amiga). But I can't work out how to do this in the latest Mint XFCE.

On my previous install, I think I went to the menu and selected ->Settings ->Window Manager
Then from the Focus tab, I turned off Raise on Click

But this doesn't seem to work on the latest version. What do I need to do? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How to stop mouse click raising a window

Post by all41 »

I can click on a window without automatically bringing it to the front and obscuring other windows that I might want to see
OK but why would you click on a window without expecting focus?
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Oh, I do want the window to get focus. But a window can get focus without becoming raised to the top so that it covers absolutely everything else. And for me, that's really useful.

This used to be possible in previous version of XFCE Mint, but since upgrading I can't get it to work any more. I turned off Raise on Click but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

In Settings Editor/xfwm4 have you tried disabling focus_new?
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Hi all41. Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried it but I'm afraid it didn't help. Clicking in a window still raises it in front of other windows as well as giving it focus :(

Return to “Xfce”