<Solved> Replicate Mate applet in Xfce?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

<Solved> Replicate Mate applet in Xfce?

Post by Superannuated »

I am running LM 18.3 Mate on a Dell desktop and Xfce on an old MacBook. There are settings and panel functions I like about Mate and others I like about Xfce. For example, I like the Mate Power Manager Inhibit Applet. If possible I'd like to "install" or simulate it in my Xfce system.

I think the code for the Power Inhibit Applet resides here in github. Does anyone have an idea for how this Mate applet can be replicated in Xfce?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
orschiro
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Replicate Mate applet in Xfce?

Post by orschiro »

What does the inhibit applet do?

Does it prevent the screen from dimming?

Maybe you can use Caffeine alternatively:

https://launchpad.net/caffeine
Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated »

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure if Caffeine is what I want.

The Power Manager Inhibit Applet prevents an unattended computer from powering down (suspend or hibernate) or going into the screensaver from lack of physical activity (keyboard, mouse), such as when you are doing a very long download or install or watching a movie. It works in all window conformations that I know of, that is, it doesn't require that an application is running full-screen (as the description of Caffeine says it does).
orschiro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by orschiro »

That's exactly what Caffeine does. I recommend you check it out. :-)
Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated »

Thanks, I will. I notice it is in the repos for 18.3, but doesn't show up for me in my 17.3 computer. I guess that's why I didn't know about it. :lol:
Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated »

Unfortunately, Caffeine did not work on my MacBook running LM18.3 Xfce. :cry:
orschiro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by orschiro »

What do you mean by did not work? Any error? Did you run it from the command line already to check your errors?
Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated »

After activating Caffeine it didn't stop the computer screen from going dark and requiring a password to get back to the desktop. I welcome any suggestions.
orschiro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by orschiro »

Look what I found:
Click on the Power Manager icon, select Presentation Mode.
Source. https://forum.manjaro.org/t/caffeine-li ... ce/32364/2
Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated »

Wow, orschiro, nice find! Isn't this forum great? You go to bed and when you wake up in the morning someone has solved your problem. 8)

For the future newbie reader let me give some details on how to install the Power Manager Plugin (or the full name, Power Manager Panel Plugin). The Xfce help documentation is lacking.

First off, the Power Manager Plugin is installed by default in LM18.3 Xfce. In fact, if you open the Software Manager and type "power man" into the search box you will find 5 programs in the Power Manager family that are already installed, including "Xfce4-power-manager-plugins". Since you already have it, it is easy to install it on the panel.

Install the Power Manager Plugin on your panel like you would install any other panel item. Right click on the panel, highlight Panel, click on Add New Items. In the Add New Items window select Power Manager Plugin and click on the Add button.

To use the plugin left click it in the panel and a window will come up where you can change the display brightness, go into Presentation mode (i.e., automatic sleep inhibited), or open the Power Manager settings. If you merely hover the cursor over the battery icon in panel it will display the status of your laptop battery.

Return to “Xfce”