Add Document Shortcut to Panel / Spaces in file names?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lord Vltor
Level 1
Level 1

Add Document Shortcut to Panel / Spaces in file names?

Post by Lord Vltor »

caribriz wrote:Hi TeXaCo -

If I understand correctly - you want to click a panel shortcut and have it open a Word document in LibreOffice Writer???

If so - this will create a panel shortcut to open a Word document called, for example, My-file.docx from Documents folder with LibreOffice Writer -

Create the launcher in the panel -

Right-click Panel > click Panel > Add new items > click Launcher > Add > close
Move launcher up the list, if desired
Right-click the new launcher in the panel > click Properties > General tab > click 2nd icon down on the right - "Add a new empty item"

Fill in the fields, for my example:
Name: My-file
Command: lowriter /home/my-user-name/Documents/My-file.docx
Icon: click "No icon" button > click down arrow next to "Select icon from" > File type icons > application-msword

If it was just a plain text file, you could use this command in the launcher instead to open it in gedit:
gedit /home/my-user-name/Documents/My-file
Hello, same issue here - running Linux Mint XFCE 18.2
I followed your steps - the exact ones I found myself after days and days of trial-and-error -, but, for some reason, whenever I click on the launcher, nothing happens.
At first I thought it was my problem, but seems I did it right.
Just a question: since the main files and folder trees are coming from a Win7OS, may it be that, in Linux, I will have to abandon the fancy habit to use spaces when naming files and folders? Because a lot of my files and folders *have* spaces in their names, and working from the Panel is a pain. Maybe spaces are something that breaks launchers too?

Edit: even the technique of creating a shortcut on the Desktop doesn't work; if I r-click on the Desk, I have no option to create a link, an executable, a launcher, nor any other kind of file, and I actually do not understand why I can create a launcher to a file in WinOS and here in Linux is doable but it doesn't seem to work <.<
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Add Document Shortcut to Panel (Solved)

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
This topic was split off from this one: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=143777
Please don't post to old threads, start new ones instead. It's fine to link to the old topic for reference.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Xfce”