Can not revert back from XFCE login screen to Cinnamon

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vizhnu

Can not revert back from XFCE login screen to Cinnamon

Post by vizhnu »

I installed XFCE desktop environment on my Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya(from Software Manager) . When I tried it , the login page automatically changed to XFCE login. I tried to change the login screen back to cinnamon but I couldn't . So I uninstalled XFCE , but the login screen remains the same. I have tried everything on this forum and other sites to change the login greeter back to the default cinnamon one , but nothing seems to work. It is really frustrating....Someone please help.( I have seen other threads on the same topic , but the solutions didn't work for me.)
NB: I can change the desktop environment to Cinnamon,
it's the login greeter I am having trouble with.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Can not revert back from XFCE login screen to Cinnamon

Post by Flemur »

The login managers are pretty poorly designed and implemented, but :

- you should have a "desktop selector" on the login GUI, although on mine it's made very not-obvious. Try clicking all over the place.

- "lightdm-settings" doesn't set (default/login) desktops, like it should.

- This conveniently located file
/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/70-linuxmint.conf

Contains:

Code: Select all

[SeatDefaults]
user-session=fluxbox
You could edit that (as sudo) and try changing the user-session to 'Cinnamon' or 'cinnamon'.

Edit: you might also try something like:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure cinnamon
or

sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
vizhnu

Post by vizhnu »

Thank you flemur , but I can change the desktop environment easily, it is the login greeter that l'm having trouble with . I wasn't quite clear about that in my question and my topic name is also misleading. I have edited my question to be more precise now, but I don't know how to edit the topic name. It's my first time asking a question and I apologize for my mistake. Thanks again for your time.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hm. The login screens are not dependent of the desktop environment.
The login screen is displayed before your desktop environment xfce or Cinnamon gets loaded.
Therefore to the best of my knowledge, which ends with Linux Mint 18.1 at the time being, there is no xfce login screen and no Cinnamon login screen. There is just a Linux Mint login screen. At least this was true till Linux Mint 18.1, when mdm ruled the login screen.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

About editing /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/70-linuxmint.conf:
You could edit that (as sudo) and try changing the user-session to 'Cinnamon' or 'cinnamon'.
translates to either of 2 commandlines:

sudo vi /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/70-linuxmint.conf
or

gksudo xed /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/70-linuxmint.conf
Note:
sudo is not a user, but a command which will run the rest of the commandline with root privileges.
sudo should never be use to invoke graphical applications. Use gksudo in these cases instead.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
vizhnu

Post by vizhnu »

Thanks Karlchen, I think it isn't the xfce login screen.I couldn't attach a screenshot, so I did a bit of googling and came up with an image which resembles my current login screen while searching for "default login manager for linux mint". I am assuming that somehow my login screen got reverted back to an older version.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, vizhnu.

Should it not be possible to select a different login screen theme by going to System Settings => Login Screen?
This at least how I can select a different login screen theme on Linux Mint 18.1, which admittedly uses mdm, not lightdm.

The New features in Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon page, section about "LightDM", praises the "Slick Greeter" used by LightDM as highly configurable via "LightDM Settings".

Best regards,
Karl
Lifeline

Return to “Xfce”