Updated 18.3 today. After reboot desktop wallpaper and icons are gone.

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
dziesig
Level 1
Level 1

Updated 18.3 today. After reboot desktop wallpaper and icons are gone.

Post by dziesig » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:28 pm

I have been using Linux Mint since IIRC version 12.

I installed Linux Mint 18.3 in late December. It has been working great since then. :D This is basically a 'pure-vanilla' installation. Nothing fancy, just two new customized panels, one on the left with the apps I use for normal work, one on the right with system utilities and monitors.

Today I performed a massive update (everything recommended in Update Manager, including the Kernel). When I rebooted, my desktop turned solid gray (after login). The login wallpaper remains as it was, but once logged in I have no icons and no wallpaper. :( The desktop area no longer responds to mouse clicks, neither left nor right. It appears that everything else is working properly.

Tried to change the wallpaper using the Desktop Manager with no success (always worked before).

Searched the web and found numerous suggested fixes, but none of them worked.

orschiro
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Updated 18.3 today. After reboot desktop wallpaper and icons are gone.

Post by orschiro » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:36 am

Does the problem also occur with a new user account?

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:37 am

Did you setup 'TimeShift' for daily or weekly updates? If so, just do the last restore

trytip
Level 6
Level 6

Post by trytip » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:11 am

are you using the nvidia drivers? do you have a TV or second monitor connected? rightclick on desktop open terminal and use nvidia-settings disable dual monitor and set resolution for the primary

dziesig
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dziesig » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:43 pm

orschiro wrote:Does the problem also occur with a new user account?
No! I just created a new user (first time I ever had anyone other than me as a user on this machine :wink: ) and I can set the wallpaper and it has an icon.

This sounds like a config issue, but I'm not sure where to look.

I am using dual monitors (an old laptop whose internal display is hosed). Both accounts process an xrandr command to set the external TV monitor to underscan so I can see the borders if that makes a difference.

orschiro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by orschiro » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:03 am

No! I just created a new user (first time I ever had anyone other than me as a user on this machine :wink: ) and I can set the wallpaper and it has an icon.
In the worst case, just transfer your visible home folder content over to your new user and isolate which config file is giving you problems.

Return to “Xfce”