Updated 18.3 today. After reboot desktop wallpaper and icons are gone.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dziesig

Updated 18.3 today. After reboot desktop wallpaper and icons are gone.

Post by dziesig »

I have been using Linux Mint since IIRC version 12.

I installed Linux Mint 18.3 in late December. It has been working great since then. :D This is basically a 'pure-vanilla' installation. Nothing fancy, just two new customized panels, one on the left with the apps I use for normal work, one on the right with system utilities and monitors.

Today I performed a massive update (everything recommended in Update Manager, including the Kernel). When I rebooted, my desktop turned solid gray (after login). The login wallpaper remains as it was, but once logged in I have no icons and no wallpaper. :( The desktop area no longer responds to mouse clicks, neither left nor right. It appears that everything else is working properly.

Tried to change the wallpaper using the Desktop Manager with no success (always worked before).

Searched the web and found numerous suggested fixes, but none of them worked.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
orschiro
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Updated 18.3 today. After reboot desktop wallpaper and icons are gone.

Post by orschiro »

Does the problem also occur with a new user account?
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Did you setup 'TimeShift' for daily or weekly updates? If so, just do the last restore
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

are you using the nvidia drivers? do you have a TV or second monitor connected? rightclick on desktop open terminal and use nvidia-settings disable dual monitor and set resolution for the primary
dziesig

Post by dziesig »

orschiro wrote:Does the problem also occur with a new user account?
No! I just created a new user (first time I ever had anyone other than me as a user on this machine :wink: ) and I can set the wallpaper and it has an icon.

This sounds like a config issue, but I'm not sure where to look.

I am using dual monitors (an old laptop whose internal display is hosed). Both accounts process an xrandr command to set the external TV monitor to underscan so I can see the borders if that makes a difference.
orschiro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by orschiro »

No! I just created a new user (first time I ever had anyone other than me as a user on this machine :wink: ) and I can set the wallpaper and it has an icon.
In the worst case, just transfer your visible home folder content over to your new user and isolate which config file is giving you problems.

Return to “Xfce”