Mint 18.3 XFCE Random No Panel

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antidote21984

Mint 18.3 XFCE Random No Panel

Post by antidote21984 »

Hi All, I've been using linux for a while (longer than I care to remember) now but my skills still leave a lot to be desired lol. I recently put Mint 18.3 XFCE 64bit on an Acer Swift 3, Corei5 (yes it can be done :D ) and it is running pretty much flawlessly, Compiz included, dual booting Windows 10 of a UEFI SSD. It is is probably my favourite OS so far. There were only two issues, one of which I already found a fix for:

1) sometimes hang on power-down / restart.
2) panel sometimes doesn't show up on start-up.

I fixed 1) by adding:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="reboot=efi" to /etc/default/grub

Issue 2 happens about once every 5 restarts or startups. I can get the panel back with xfce4-panel --restart or xfce4-panel --replace in terminal but wondered if there is a more elegant or permanent solution?

The only other things I have messed around with in Grub where to add "elevator=deadline" so that Grub now reads as follows:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="elevator=deadline quiet splash"

I have also disabled hibernate for the benefit of the SSD.

The only other clues I can see are in System reports, which list:

_usr_bin_xfce4-power-manager.1000.crash (a few days ago)
_usr_bin_xfce4-panel.1000.crash (a few days ago)
_usr_lib_x86_64-linux-gnu_xfce4_panel_wrapper-1.0.1000.crash (yesterday)

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antidote21984

Re: Mint 18.3 XFCE Random No Panel

Post by antidote21984 »

In case anybody else has this issue. Switching the Window Manager back to 'xfwm4 + Compositing' seems to have fixed it. I was previously running Compiz.
jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jameskga »

Whenever I ask a question like this, people answer me like, "why do you want a panel? Many linux users do not use a panel"
They say your favorite Mint edition was the one you installed when you still went to school with your friends.
I am out there
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

jameskga wrote:Whenever I ask a question like this, people answer me like, "why do you want a panel? Many linux users do not use a panel"
Been using Linux support forums for years and that's the first time I've heard of anything like that.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

antidote21984 wrote:In case anybody else has this issue. Switching the Window Manager back to 'xfwm4 + Compositing' seems to have fixed it. I was previously running Compiz.
Not surprised here. When they tell you you can do anything you want in Linux, that's pretty much true. What they negllect to tell you is that it won't necessarily work. All they meant is that the OS will let you. I've learned to be careful about themes and customization.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Xfce”