How to insert a program in the main list programs?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pelzian
Level 3
Level 3

How to insert a program in the main list programs?

Post by Pelzian »

H there,
I need an advice. I have installed Masterpdf in my "/home/user" and I would like to have this program available also in the main menu and on the pop-up when I click on the icon to some pdf files to change program. How could I do it?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: How to insert a program in the main list programs?

Post by kc1di »

first how did you install masterpdf?
you should download the .deb file from here: https://code-industry.net/free-pdf-editor/#get and install it with gdebi and it will show in the main menu under office and allow right click dialogue.

You can create a link to your menu by going to settings menu editor also.
good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Pelzian
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pelzian »

Well, I download the "master-pdf-editor-4.3.61_qt4.amd64.tar.gz", extract the file i my home and launched the program, because there is not any .deb file, only .tar.gz
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Pelzian wrote:Well, I download the "master-pdf-editor-4.3.61_qt4.amd64.tar.gz", extract the file i my home and launched the program, because there is not any .deb file, only .tar.gz
No idea where you might find a tar.gz all by itself. .deb, .rpm, and .tar.gz files are all available here:

https://code-industry.net/free-pdf-editor/#get
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Pelzian wrote:Well, I download the "master-pdf-editor-4.3.61_qt4.amd64.tar.gz", extract the file i my home and launched the program, because there is not any .deb file, only .tar.gz
.deb file is at the location I posted earlier.
It will be easier if you down load that file and install it.
if you want to use the one you have you'll need to edit the menu and create a .desktop file in /usr/share/application folder. (you'll need to have root priviledges to do that.)
I can walk you through that process, but it would be much easier to just download the correct package and install it.
Let me know what you want to do.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated »

jimallyn wrote:No idea where you might find a tar.gz all by itself.
If Pelzian clicked on the second category of download choices he/she would only see a tar.gz. :)
MasterPDF.png
Edit: The GDebi Package Installer worked for me in LM 18.3 but not for LM 17.3. Must be an older version of the installer?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Superannuated wrote:
jimallyn wrote:No idea where you might find a tar.gz all by itself.
If Pelzian clicked on the second category of download choices he/she would only see a tar.gz.
No, he would see the tar.gz in the second category, and the first and third categories, both of which contain .deb files.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

rightclick on the menu and Edit Applications then add custom
or
rightclick on the desktop and select Create Launcher
Pelzian
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pelzian »

trytip wrote:rightclick on the menu and Edit Applications then add custom
or
Well, with second option it works well, but it is not insert in the main menu.
Pelzian
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pelzian »

kc1di wrote:
.deb file is at the location I posted earlier.
It will be easier if you down load that file and install it.
if you want to use the one you have you'll need to edit the menu and create a .desktop file in /usr/share/application folder. (you'll need to have root priviledges to do that.)
I can walk you through that process, but it would be much easier to just download the correct package and install it.
Let me know what you want to do.
Thank you for your support.
I think the file I have taken ("master-pdf-editor-4.3.61_qt4.amd64.tar.gz") is like portable one, therefore it doesn't need to be installed like a .deb file, am I wrong? For that reason, at the moment, I prefer to work in this situation just to test how it works. Later on I will try your recommendations, but when you say " you'll need to edit the menu and create a .desktop file in /usr/share/application folder" what do you mean with "edit the menu" ?

Thanks
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

I don't have XFCE or Cinnamon installed at the moment but if I remember right there is a menu editor in either settings or System that you can use to add entries to the menu.
you may be able to right click on the menu Icon also and select edit. Then just select the category, say office and add the correct Name, executable location for example
/home/<usr Name>/<FileName> select the Icon you want to use. and click save. Then it will appear in the Menu. It will not be in the right click menu though. That is why you'll need an entry in the /usr/share/applications folder.
Good Luck.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Pelzian wrote:
trytip wrote:rightclick on the menu and Edit Applications then add custom
or
Well, with second option it works well, but it is not insert in the main menu.
i only used linux since 2011 but i learned using google and youtube. so i made a small video hope it will be useful for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PNfn7relrk
Pelzian
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pelzian »

Wow! trytip you have made a great tutorial!
Gratful for your your support!

Thanks!
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

Pelzian wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:20 am H there,
I need an advice. I have installed Masterpdf in my "/home/user" and I would like to have this program available also in the main menu and on the pop-up when I click on the icon to some pdf files to change program. How could I do it?

Thanks
The text file .desktop is the important part. You can read more about this at freedesktop.org or Desktop files: putting your application in the desktop menus

You can install masterpdf anywhere and change the .desktop file or install it where the .desktop file expects. Masterpdf is following the linux filesystem hierarchy standard ("/opt - Optional application software packages"). I often put applications I want only to affect me in an Applications directory under my home directory.

From the command line: sudo tar -C /opt -xf master-pdf-editor-4.3.82_qt4.amd64.tar.gz
Note: tar -tf master-pdf-editor-4.3.82_qt4.amd64.tar.gz shows you the content of the archived and compressed file. You want to make sure there is a nice directory structure in the archive, and in this case master-pdf-editor-4.

You don't normally need to modify the system files (i.e., /usr/share), unless you want to affect all users. In almost all cases there is a local directory structure that will override and will only affect you. In this case, ~/.local/share/applications (cp /opt/master-pdf-editor-4/masterpdfeditor4.desktop ~/.local/share/applications)
Note: tilde (~) and $HOME expand to the same value. cd ~ and cd $HOME do the same thing. To see the values: echo ~ $HOME.

Notice the line in masterpdfeditor4.desktop, "Categories=Office;Graphics;"
"Categories Categories in which the entry should be shown in a menu (for possible values see the Desktop Menu Specification)".

To summarize:

Code: Select all

sudo  tar  -C /opt -xf master-pdf-editor-4.3.82_qt4.amd64.tar.gz
cp /opt/master-pdf-editor-4/masterpdfeditor4.desktop ~/.local/share/applications
If you have already extracted it to /home/user, just:

Code: Select all

cp /home/user/master-pdf-editor-4/masterpdfeditor4.desktop ~/.local/share/applications

Return to “Xfce”