[SOLVED] - Open as root not working

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rubindaija

[SOLVED] - Open as root not working

Post by rubindaija »

Hello,

I have Linux Mint 18.3 and when I try anywhere on y computer to right click and use open ass root it simply does not work. The option is there I click it but nothing happens. Could you please tell me on how I can solve it?

Thank you for your help. I wrote gksudo thunar in the terminal. It prompted me to install the package as I did not have it and after that everything was working perfectly normal again.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Open as root not working

Post by Pjotr »

Try this:

Code: Select all

gksudo thunar
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Can you open up a terminal and then run your file manager from there, then once again try that right-click feature, and post us any output you get. If you use thunar, then it's just a case of opening the terminal and entering thunar.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
rubindaija

Post by rubindaija »

I opened thunar through the terminal and got this warning message.
Screenshot_2018-02-18_12-03-05.png
I tried then again to do the right click open as root but it did not work.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

How bizarre. I was just reading about squelching those errors yesterday. :roll: They're supposedly harmless messages, just annoying to see. I have a function which can be used to blank out undesireable messages like this:

https://github.com/terminalforlife/bash ... ctions#L41

Don't panic, it's not something you need to actually use.

Maybe this thread could help you: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=263770&p=1432658#p1432285

Unfortunately, this error messages doesn't seem to relate to gaining root privileges, so is probably a separate (non-)issue. :|

Do you by any chance have the gksu package installed? which gksu gksudo Run that command, and if you see something like what's below, then they're installed. I'm fairly sure they come with Mint and other GUI-orientated distributions as standard.

Code: Select all

$ which gksu gksudo
/usr/bin/gksu
/usr/bin/gksudo
I'm just guessing that right-click and open as root thing uses gksu/gksudo to gain root privileges.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.

Return to “Xfce”