Potential Icon glitches?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AlexRedLeader

Potential Icon glitches?

Post by AlexRedLeader »

Hello,
I would like to submit a report concerning two minors but frustrating glitches concerning the desktop icons positions.
I suppose those glitches have certainly been reported before, but still,...

- Desktop Icons are superimposing when a new device or software icon is added to the desktop.
It looks funny seeing "Home", "Network" and "USB Device" icon one of top of the others. :lol:

- I usually like putting the "Trash bin" icon at the very far right down corner of the desktop, like on Windows, but I have noticed that for some reasons, the icon is moving up by itself after a few reboot.

I would love seeing these funny bugs fixed on the next upgrade or update. :)
And yeah, unability to lassoing objects in detailed list view sucks too

Best regards
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Potential Icon glitches?

Post by Hoser Rob »

This would be a lot more useful if you said which release and DE version you're using. Copy/paste this to the terminal and copy/paste the text output here:

inxi -Fxz

And icons moving around after a reboot isn't unusual in a Linux DE. Just because it acts differently from WIndows that doesn't mean it's a bug.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Hoser Rob wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:19 amAnd icons moving around after a reboot isn't unusual in a Linux DE. Just because it acts differently from WIndows that doesn't mean it's a bug.
The inability of a DE to retain one's configuration is a feature?

EDIT: That comment was, possibly, uncalled for, so I removed it.
Last edited by MtnDewManiac on Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MtnDewManiac wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:49 am Do you work in marketing, lol?
Please take the valid advice given to you if you wish to get the issue resolved.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

These sound like issues you need to report to the Xfce developers. A quick web search for the xfce bugtracker will probably turn it up.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
mint4all
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mint4all »

Greetings to y'all!

As is discussed @ https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1195331/ this topic's subject is a known shortcoming of ubuntu's and mint's desktops. Though xfce4 isn't mentioned per se, perhaps that "Happy Desktop" utility could be ported (by someone eager & equipped to do so) to xfce? By looking into this further (on xfce.org) i found that xfce's "Desktop" manager (v4.12+) has implemented, or tried to anyway, a built-in icon grid. It records its icon locations in an rc-file in a user's home directory @ ~/.config/xfce4/desktop/icons.screen0-{xpixesl}x{ypixels}.rc with an entry for each desktop icon's location in the resolution-dependent's icon-space x/y-grid.

I observed that this rc-file is updated in realtime whenever the desktop icons' locations get changed, either by the system or by the user. Ubuntu's forum has many topics dealing with this very problem, and how it can be mitigated in a number of ways (ie. changing that rc-file's attributes to r/o). Imho, the "Happy Desktop" solution presented on gnome-look.org begs to be ported to xfce. Given xfce's 3-year development cycle we can't expect a fix any time soon... Besides, both Mate and Cinnamon desktops share the same issue/shortcoming, too.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

catweazel wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:13 am
MtnDewManiac wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:49 am Do you work in marketing, lol?
Please take the valid advice given to you if you wish to get the issue resolved.
That was probably the kindest "spanking" that I have ever received. I edited my post to remove that comment - and I apologize to everyone reading this thread.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Xfce”