XFCE desktop has altered appearance

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pauloz
Level 1
Level 1

XFCE desktop has altered appearance

Post by pauloz »

Something strange has occurred to my Linux Mint XFCE 18.3. When I logged on this morning, the desktop took the appearance of an earlier version of XFCE but a check still confirmed it was version 4.12.
It has the taskbar at the top of the screen and a small cairo dock at the bottom, the font was changed to the Sans font and appears slightly larger and more blurry. I checked the resolution but it's still at the default display of 1366 x 768.
I can't recall doing anything out of the ordinary after shutting down the previous night - can anybody help me please?
pauloz
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

Re: XFCE desktop has altered appearance

Post by cottfcfan »

Sounds to me like some file has been lost or deleted in your .config folder.
Can't you simply go to system settings & put things back how you want them? Or does it keep reverting back on reboot?
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

When you get it back right again,

Install Timeshift from Software Manager and start making backups of the System Files once in a while.

Once a Timeshift backup has been made, go to that one and double click on the blank space, and then write in the Facts about what that backup contains.

ie, for me, just wrote in mine "4.13.0-37 Active, Screenshot Default Directory fixed"

Note that I have all of my "On Demand" TimeShift backups named appropriately.

And, please note that I make a TimeShift backup "Prior to a big update"... Updates can bork your system sometimes, this makes it easy to backup to before the update crashed your PC.

TimeShift Descriptions.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
pauloz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pauloz »

Thanks for the replies.
I decided to uninstall XFCE and reinstall with Cinnamon. Hasn't missed a beat since, but I will certainly consider the Timeshift backup.

Return to “Xfce”