[SOLVED] My program just disappearded, does XFCE have multiple panels?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SlappySquirl

[SOLVED] My program just disappearded, does XFCE have multiple panels?

Post by SlappySquirl »

Noob, using Mint 18.3 XFCE, I was working with Firefox and making some notes on the default text editor XED 1.6, I closed Firefox and noticed that the xed icon disappeared from the taskbar too, as if I wasn't running anything at all.

I assumed I had somehow closed it, and opened a new instance of xed, but noticed that it's taskbar button had as title "Unsaved Document 2", no matter how many times I opened and closed it, it said the same thing, this led me to believe that my other document (which was also unsaved, was still running on an instance of xed). I opened the task manager, and yes, it seems like there's my first instance of xed that's still running, just not visible.

Does Mint XFCE have multiple panels? Is there a key combination that could switch between panels or bring back that "invisible" instance of xed? (I already tried Alt+Tab, doesn't work). Xed is still showing on the Task Manager with nothing else running, I right-click that instance but see no option to "bring to foreground" or anything similar.

Help!!
Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: My program just disappearded, does XFCE have multiple panels?

Post by Moem »

Try Ctrl-Alt-arrow key to take a look at the other workspaces, and see if it's there? I think there are four of them enabled by default.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Intriguing, was not aware of this, and fully explains "magical disappearing acts" in my past.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
SlappySquirl

Post by SlappySquirl »

Moem wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:26 pm Try Ctrl-Alt-arrow key to take a look at the other workspaces, and see if it's there? I think there are four of them enabled by default.
Holly crap! That worked!!
I read the Mint manual, how come I never heard that Mint has panels? How come it doesn't have an icon on the taskbar just like other OSs do?

Thanks a bunch Moem!!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Well, now you know! :D They're called workspaces though, not panels. And the bar at the bottom is a panel not a taskbar. Just so you'll get the right answers when you ask about them in the future.
If you want a button or another easy way to see or switch workspaces, there are a number of applets available that you can place on the panel for the purpose.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

SlappySquirl wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:57 pm How come it doesn't have an icon on the taskbar just like other OSs do?
To add it, right click on your panel and go to Panel > Add New Items

Scroll down to and click on Workspace Switcher, then click Add
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [SOLVED] My program just disappearded, does XFCE have multiple panels?

Post by AZgl1800 »

I just had Firefox lock up waiting for something, what I don't know.

In the past, I was forced to just shutdown the PC crudely, or use Terminal: shutdown 0

Not one minute ago, I just used the Workspace keys to flip out of, and back to the workspace I was on.
That brought the Workspace back into full control, I was able to click the 'X' to kill Firefox, got the message "this will cause a loss of data".... but who cares, it was just surfing thru Facebook, nothing important at all.

FF went goodbye, Workspace1 returned to normal, and all is well again.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
SlappySquirl

Post by SlappySquirl »

Moem wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:10 pm If you want a button or another easy way to see or switch workspaces, there are a number of applets available that you can place on the panel for the purpose.
Moem, as MrEen posted above:

"right click on your panel and go to Panel > Add New Items

Scroll down to and click on Workspace Switcher, then click Add"

and yes I just tried it and it worked just fine. And I actually think that the Ctrl+Alt+Arrow method is the most efficient, even than having a visual way to do it. It's just confusing not having any visual reference at all to the existence of workspaces (specially for n00bs), it was just odd.
Last edited by SlappySquirl on Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SlappySquirl

Post by SlappySquirl »

MrEen wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:54 pm
SlappySquirl wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:57 pm How come it doesn't have an icon on the taskbar just like other OSs do?
To add it, right click on your panel and go to Panel > Add New Items

Scroll down to and click on Workspace Switcher, then click Add
Just tried it, totally worked! That should be the Mint default, just so people know that workspaces are available and being used by default. Thanks!
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Glad you're happy, Slappy! :D
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

SlappySquirl wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:14 pm
Moem wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:10 pm If you want a button or another easy way to see or switch workspaces, there are a number of applets available that you can place on the panel for the purpose.
Moem, as MrEen posted above:

"right click on your panel and go to Panel > Add New Items

Scroll down to and click on Workspace Switcher, then click Add"
Yes, that's right. Nice, huh.

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

One of the many Linux versions I have loaded into VB, shows open tabs on the Panel at the bottom of the screen, each is labeled "Workspace 1," etc.... or maybe just a '1' '2',
don't recall just now.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

SlappySquirl wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:15 pmThat should be the Mint default, just so people know that workspaces are available and being used by default. Thanks!
I think it was in Mint 14 Xfce. It probably confused people, so disappeared in newer versions.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Xfce”