How to get the clean Mint-XFCE bottom menu, from Mint 18.3 Cinnamon ?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Vupocy2

How to get the clean Mint-XFCE bottom menu, from Mint 18.3 Cinnamon ?

Post by Vupocy2 »

How to get the clean (and beautiful) Mint-XFCE bottom menu (I mean the one from the Linux Mint XFCE edition. Example: https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3480 ), from a already installed Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon ?

The only thing I manage to get, the the old (ugly and original) style XFCE menu at the top of the screen.

When using the search engine of this Forum to search "xfce bottom menu", I get "Search found 438 matches".
Many things are related and my issue is newbie that I can't find a answer...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ozo

Re: How to get the clean Mint-XFCE bottom menu, from Mint 18.3 Cinnamon ?

Post by Ozo »

Vupocy2 wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:12 am How to get the clean (and beautiful) Mint-XFCE bottom menu, from Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon ?

The only thing I manage to get, the the old (ugly) style XFCE menu at the top of the screen.

When using the Forum search engine with "xfce bottom menu", I get "Search found 438 matches".
Can you post a photo of it. I pride myself in having one of the cleanest and most readable panels("Bottom Menu") . I would be happy to give you some tips. Here is a photo of my panel. It shows how it would look without the transparency I use but in my theme color. Color depends on the theme.

The Menu button is a custom icon but any photo can go there.

I stripped the panel down and located it on the left side. This is because I have a dock on the bottom. The dock has all the the commonly used launchers on it which cleans up the panel. There is more you can do if you are interested.

One thing I did is install the extension Transparent Panels which I think makes it look nice otherwise it would be the color of my theme. I can show you how to add a theme easily if you wish.

If you are interested I will show you my system with side panel, dock, and more.

smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Vupocy2 wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:12 am How to get the clean (and beautiful) Mint-XFCE bottom menu (I mean the one from the Linux Mint XFCE edition. Example: https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3480 ), from a already installed Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon ?

The only thing I manage to get, the the old (ugly and original) style XFCE menu at the top of the screen.

When using the search engine of this Forum to search "xfce bottom menu", I get "Search found 438 matches".
XFCE call it the Whisker menu....I'm not aware of any faithful port to Cinnamon. There are some alternative menus in Cinnamon Spices that get close...

Cinnamenu in list mode rather than grid mode is not a million miles away from Whisker https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/282

Cinnamenu List Mode

Cinnamenu Grid mode

Stark menu is also good if you are after something close to Mate's default menu or reminiscent of Win 7 - it does both...https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/281
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Cinnamenu is a panel applet and can be installed/removed easily directly from Applets.

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Vupocy2 wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:12 am How to get the clean (and beautiful) Mint-XFCE bottom menu (I mean the one from the Linux Mint XFCE edition. Example: https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3480 ), from a already installed Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon ?
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2349

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Vupocy2 wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:12 amWhen using the search engine of this Forum to search "xfce bottom menu",
To move the panel to the bottom, left-click on the LEFT-EDGE and just drag it to the bottom.

If it won't move, rt-click (left edge) and set "Lock Panel" OFF.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
rahul324

Post by rahul324 »

Ozo wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:48 am I pride myself in having one of the cleanest and most readable panels("Bottom Menu") . I would be happy to give you some tips. Here is a photo of my panel. It shows how it would look without the transparency I use but in my theme color. Color depends on the theme.

The Menu button is a custom icon but any photo can go there.

I stripped the panel down and located it on the left side. This is because I have a dock on the bottom. The dock has all the the commonly used launchers on it which cleans up the panel. There is more you can do if you are interested.

One thing I did is install the extension Transparent Panels which I think makes it look nice otherwise it would be the color of my theme. I can show you how to add a theme easily if you wish.

If you are interested I will show you my system with side panel, dock, and more.

Hi Ozo,
I am impressed with the screenshot of your desktop. I couldn't believe that we can XFCE desktop look that cool. Can you please share me your entire desktop theme (Panel, menu etc) and also if you can let me know whether there is any document which shows how these changes can be made.
Last edited by Moem on Sat May 16, 2020 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Trimmed a quote
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

rahul324 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 3:43 am Hi Ozo,
I am impressed with the screenshot of your desktop. I couldn't believe that we can XFCE desktop look that cool. Can you please share me your entire desktop theme (Panel, menu etc) and also if you can let me know whether there is any document which shows how these changes can be made.
That's a Cinnamon desktop not XFCE...
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Xfce”