Xfce is frozen at start up.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
So confused 412

Xfce is frozen at start up.

Post by So confused 412 »

So I installed Xfce Mint on my old Dell laptop that was running Windows 7. I loaded it from a Freedom website and used Rufus to transfer it to a USB stick. It installed fine at first. It ran fine so I turned it off and them back on and it seemed fine. But then I tried to start it with the Wifi running and it froze at the Mint start up. The little dots at the bottom froze. So I had read that it may be a video card so I typed in the no set mode and it started without the Mint icon and said Mint 8.1 I think but it is still frozen. So then I tried recovery but that froze too. It went thru several black pages with writing and then froze right after it reached Target Sound Card. The little blinking dash froze right under it and wouldn't move anywhere. What can I do to fix it? I've tried the F2' s and Control and Alt and other buttons but nothing works. Is there anything I can do to save it or do I need to go to some smaller operating system like Pup?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Xfce is frozen at start up.

Post by Reddog1 »

What is a 'Freedom website'. You downloaded Mint from this source, correct? www.linuxmint.com/download.php

You have enough memory in your old Dell to actually run a modern system? You mentioned that it runs Win 7 o.k. so it should run the xfce version of Mint, but perhaps not Cinnamon or MATE. I've run Mint 17 xfce on 1024 of memory and a 2GHz single core machine and it works just o.k. No speed demon but I could comfortably surf the web and do email with it. I've run Puppy Linux on a Pentium 233 and 256K of memory and that was useable, but barely. YMMV

Now that is out of the way, did you test your wifi when you booted to LIVE mode to check your hardware? If everything worked in LIVE (including the video) mode it is something other than your vid card, so 'nomodeset' wasn't the way to go. IF the problem only appeared after you enabled wifi, you never had wifi enabled in LIVE mode, and you had no updates installed or everything worked with updates, then the wifi is the problem. On older hardware wifi usually works out of the box, which makes me think that you might have it misconfigured so that your system is looking for another card or perhaps a DNS server that doesn't exist. A while back I had a problem with a Broadcom card that required a kernel update to fix, and it would freeze my machine on startup trying to load the kernel driver, which was not the correct driver for that card but one for an even older card.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Xfce is frozen at start up.

Post by Reddog1 »

And if you post what Dell machine you are using, there just might be someone here that has that particular one running with Mint.

Return to “Xfce”