SOLVED - Application buttons - Symbol buttons - Panel feature or plugin ???

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

SOLVED - Application buttons - Symbol buttons - Panel feature or plugin ???

Post by LinWinux »

Hi everyone. Recently a buddy of mine showed me his desktop with MX Linux 17.1 XFCE. It didn't really look that much different from Mint XFCE, except for one thing that I really really liked. Since both of our machines have the XFCE desktop manager, I'm hoping that is a standard part of XFCE ... which I just can't seem to find anywhere since I wouldn't know what it's called. I did look in the software manager under ... Panel, Button, XFCE ... but couldn't find anything there.

Here's what I'm talking about. When I have several applications open on my screen, my bottom panel has a button for each application on the panel. When 6 or 7 things are open, the panel is pretty much filled with the buttons for all of those items. On my buddies machine with MX / XFCE, for every open item on the desktop there's a button that's just the size of the application symbol. In other words, for Firefox he just has another FF symbol, except that it also has the function of a standard Mint / XFCE panel button ... minimize, maximize, right click context menu. When he has 4 or 5 items open on the desktop, all of those items take up the space of just one of my Mint / XFCE buttons. I really like the amount of panel space that's saved with those symbols, as opposed to rectanguar long buttons.
I think Windows7 has the same thing, just another symbol for each open item on the desktop.

Does anyone know if this is standard to XFCE, just hidden somewhere? And if so, can anyone point me in the right direction so that I can turn my current long rectangular buttons into those much smaller symbol types? I don't want to change panels, since MX just has regular XFCE panels too. I just want to be able to get those symbol/buttons ... :wink:

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PLEASE ... Don't respond to questions with meaningless or thoughtless comments!
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Application buttons - Symbol buttons - Panel feature or plugin ???

Post by smurphos »

Hi,

Right click on the panel, open panel, navigate to items, select window buttons and click on the 5th button down to edit its preferences.

You can switch off labels and turn on window-grouping from there.

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

SOLVED - Re: Application buttons - Symbol buttons - Panel feature or plugin ???

Post by LinWinux »

Geeez, several years later with XFCE and still learning ... :oops:
Never even dawned on me to check if there's an edit function for the window buttons.

Thanks a million ... You Rock !!! :D :lol:

PLEASE ... Don't respond to questions with meaningless or thoughtless comments!
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: SOLVED - Application buttons - Symbol buttons - Panel feature or plugin ???

Post by smurphos »

No worries. Happy to help... :) I don't think you ever stop learning new stuff with Linux.....
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Xfce”