[SOLVED] Desktops

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
j1nz6

[SOLVED] Desktops

Post by j1nz6 »

Hi guys, I'm a big fun of Linux Mint, and waiting for the new 19 version, I was wandering if I should install XFCE or MATE deskrop.
I have used both of them, and I should say I am more fan of XFCE (and also it is kind of faster on my laptop). But reading for both of them, I see very often the line "It doesn’t support as many features as Cinnamon or MATE" , so I would like to know which "features" MATE has, that XFCE has not, and how "must have" they are.
Thanks in advance :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Desktops

Post by Hoser Rob »

If you prefer Xfce over Mate install the xfce version and stop worrying. There's no huge difference, it's more a matter of taste. Cinnamon is much larger and heavier ... it uses over 1Gb RAM, which is ludicrous for a Linus DE IMO ... and is another league when it comes to hardware requirements.

If there's one thing I've learned from using windowed systems for about 30 years it's that they all do pretty much the same thing. I used to use the LXDE desktop, which is bare bones and looks like it's from 1995, but it's FAST and it certainly does the job. In fact if it didn't have just one developer AFAIK I'd probably still be using it.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI j1nz6,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

All editions of Linux Mint are wonderful and work very well. You do not need to wait for Linux Mint 19, version 18.3 works great. You can burn a DVD or USB stick of each one and boot to it and try it for yourself to see which one works best for your computer hardware and that you like the most. "Mate" is supposed to be the most hardware compatible, and "Xfce" uses the least computer hardware resources.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

j1nz6 wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:41 amBut reading for both of them, I see very often the line "It doesn’t support as many features as Cinnamon or MATE" , so I would like to know which "features" MATE has, that XFCE has not, and how "must have" they are.
Bells and whistles, probably. What is it you think you need to do that you wouldn't be able to do in Xfce?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

Xfce will work just fine for you and in my humble opinion, one of the best desktops around.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Flemur wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:44 amBells and whistles, probably.
That, for the most part. Along with (usually) some differing ways of doing a thing here and there.

Consider this: We don't buy computers and install operating systems, distros, desktop environments, et cetera... so that we can boot into the DE and just sit there with only the DE, itself, running, lol. All that stuff, it's merely a... framework that allows us to install and run the applications that perform the tasks that we wish to accomplish.

And all the different "frameworks" serve that purpose. Even Microsoft's stuff does, when it comes down to it.

OP, what does it matter if one DE has features that another lacks - if you do not require those features? You stated that you've used both Xfce and MATE. I noticed that you didn't state anything about missing any specific feature in one or the other of them.

My motorcycle, being well over 30 years old, having a relatively small engine, and owned by a rather poor individual, struggles to reach 100 miles per hour - and its original published top speed was only 115. It very obviously lacks the "feature" of being able to reach speeds of 170+ MPH. But I have gotten kind of old - and would very much like to be able to become older still - and the highest legal speed limit on public roadways here is 70 MPH. Therefore, such a "feature" would be absolutely useless to me. If I lived in a region where the average prevailing traffic speed was north of 90 MPH, it'd be different. But I do not, and I have learned over the years that I am far more comfortable on an old "standard" than a sport bike (or cruiser). Others, obviously, are different. That's why there are different kinds of DEs motorcycles.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

MtnDewManiac wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:18 am ...
That's why there are different kinds of DEs motorcycles.
Well said!

@j1nz6

I've been using Cinnamon for a couple of years and love it. When newer versions of Mint were coming out, I decided to try MATE. Personally, I didn't like it. I've been trying out Xfce. I love it too! It's my installation on my USB flash drive.

Can any one of those run LibreOffice, Chrome, print and scan to my all-in-one, etc.? Sure they can. Most of us spend little time working the OS than with apps.

Return to “Xfce”