Super-T as Terminal Hotkey (Solved)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
raywood

Super-T as Terminal Hotkey (Solved)

Post by raywood »

I have changed the hotkey combination to open Terminal in Xfce (LM 18.3). Instead of Ctrl-Alt-T, it is now Super-T. All I did was change the hotkey in the Keyboard Settings dialog. Problem: while Super-T does open a Terminal session, it also brings up the main menu (i.e., what Super does by itself), where Ctrl-Alt-T didn't. Is there a way to defeat that behavior -- to get Super to function as part of the key combination without simultaneously functioning as though I were pressing Super by itself?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Sir Charles

Re: Super-T for Terminal

Post by Sir Charles »

Look for the entry xfce4-popup-whiskermenu in the Application Shortcuts and change the hotkey combination for it by marking it and clicking on the Edit. In the pop-up box, click OK and in the next box choose a new key combo.
raywood

Post by raywood »

That's a puzzling one. They have Super-L defined to open the "Start" menu, but in the default setting Super does it by itself. I tried replacing it with Ctrl-Function (i.e., my laptop's Ctrl-Fn key combination). That worked, weirdly: now the dialog shows Ctrl-L as the Start menu key combination, as if Fn = L -- and, sure enough, Ctrl also brings up the menu without hitting Fn. The good news is, Ctrl toggles the menu on and off. So that's a net improvement. Thank you!
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

You are welcome! Glad to hear that it worked out somehow.
Cheers
raywood

Post by raywood »

Spoke too soon. Sorry for the premature champagne. (Somehow, in real life, I've never actually had to apologize to anyone for champagne.) It seems the Ctrl function has been hijacked. So I've assigned Ctrl-WinKey to open the Start menu.

Also, I misread the dialog. I think that, when it says Super L, it doesn't mean Super-L. It means the left-hand Super key.

But now I think it all works.

Return to “Xfce”