Mint 19 Xfce

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
12 Monkeys

Mint 19 Xfce

Post by 12 Monkeys »

Anyone seen this in the wild?
https://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/532
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Mint 19 Xfce

Post by richyrich »

ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/19/
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Thanks!
12 Monkeys

Post by 12 Monkeys »

Cheers! Forgot to check the index :oops:
12 Monkeys

Post by 12 Monkeys »

Btw. Do any of you guys know when the update path from 18.3 will be up and running?
Love my Xfce I do!
Mikael
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Do any of you guys know when the update path from 18.3 will be up and running?
Keep an eye on the updates in Update Manager, when you get an update for Mint Update Manager itself . . :mrgreen:
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

12 Monkeys wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:47 am Btw. Do any of you guys know when the update path from 18.3 will be up and running?
Love my Xfce I do!
Mikael
If you love your Xfce, you'll probably have a better result with a clean installation of Mint 19 Xfce.... The jump in underlying codebase is so big, that problems are much more likely than with upgrading within the same series.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
12 Monkeys

Post by 12 Monkeys »

Pjotr wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:34 am
12 Monkeys wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:47 am Btw. Do any of you guys know when the update path from 18.3 will be up and running?
Love my Xfce I do!
Mikael
If you love your Xfce, you'll probably have a better result with a clean installation of Mint 19 Xfce.... The jump in underlying codebase is so big, that problems are much more likely than with upgrading within the same series.
I've used the path since it first appeared. Worked nicely for me. I have done clear/virgin installs on my second box.
Haven't found any big differences between the way I upgrade.
Pjotr, you don't think the upgrade path is the way? So, the codebase will make this upgrade unstable?
How or why?

Regards
Mikael
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Think pollution.... A clean install of 19 prevents pollution (useless or harmful leftovers, e.g. configurations), diminishes the risk of complications and is undoubtedly the fastest way to do it.

The codebase of 18.x is Ubuntu 16.04. The codebase of 19 is Ubuntu 18.04. That's a huge difference.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I'm thinking it will be much less work to do a fresh install and save dealing with any glitches. I'd write a list of any programs you need to add to a fresh install, of course back up your files. I use pcloud and dropbox, which have Linux clients, to back up files I will need and regularly use.
12 Monkeys

Post by 12 Monkeys »

Thanks Pjotr and KBD47 for your thoughts.
I will do both. As this is my personal box/boxes, not work related, I will try
both ways and see what works.

Cheers
Mikael
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:57 pm Think pollution.... A clean install of 19 prevents pollution (useless or harmful leftovers, e.g. configurations), diminishes the risk of complications and is undoubtedly the fastest way to do it.

The codebase of 18.x is Ubuntu 16.04. The codebase of 19 is Ubuntu 18.04. That's a huge difference.
To add to the above, as far as I know, using the "upgrade" option in mint-Update retains the currently installed kernel (in other words, you don't get the new version when using the "upgrade" option). And I think there might be one or two other things that do not get changed.

I assume this state exists because the developers feel it is less likely to cause (mass) problems; after all, if your current kernel works and the new one might not, then automatically changing it could cause (some few people to have) issues.

On the other hand, it does contribute to the creation of a "frankensystem," IMHO.

A clean install gives the user ALL of the new components/files. And can be done without burning the .ISO to optical media or a USB device (if your drive contains at least one partition that wouldn't get pooched by the installation, otherwise the downloaded .ISO would, of course, get deleted during use, lol). This method is also VERY FAST - and has the additional benefit of leaving the original downloaded .ISO both on your hard drive and as a bootable entry in the grub menu, which could come in handy if there is ever a Major Problem (refuses to boot, an issue causes lack of connectivity, et cetera).

Regards.
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
wh7qq
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wh7qq »

Confirming that the upgrade from 18.3 does not get you a new kernel...same old 4.13.0-45-generic as before on my upgraded 19. I did a full install of 19 on another HD on the same machine and it is the 4.15 series. Additionally, the cool new wallpapers that come with 19 do not show up in the upgrade. inxi -F does show that I have the 19 loaded up but other than some weirdness in the panel, nothing seems to have changed...even th Firefox is the same 60.0.2 as before but that did not change in the full up 19 install.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

apt install mint-backgrounds-tara to get the new wallpapers.

apt install mint-backgrounds-* to get every version wallpapers going back to maya and beyond.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

wh7qq wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:13 pmeven th Firefox is the same 60.0.2 as before but that did not change in the full up 19 install.
Try running mintUpdate again; I received the update to version 61.0.something last night (and this is on my Mint 17.3 installation).

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Sgthawker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sgthawker »

smurphos wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:15 am apt install mint-backgrounds-tara to get the new wallpapers.

apt install mint-backgrounds-* to get every version wallpapers going back to maya and beyond.
I tried the first to get tara backgrounds for my LM 18.3 KDE install but got the following message in terminal:

sarge@Olorin-LM18 ~ $ apt install mint-backgrounds-tara
[sudo] password for sarge:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package mint-backgrounds-tara

Any ideas on what may have occurred?
LM21.1 KDE/LM21.1 Cin/ UEFI Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Ryzen 7 5800X, GTX 3060, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe
LM21.1 KDE/LM21.1 Cin/ UEFI on STRIX laptop, i7700 HQ, GTX 1060, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

12 Monkeys wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:59 pm
Pjotr wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:34 am
Love my Xfce I do!
Mikael
I've used the path since it first appeared. Worked nicely for me. I have done clear/virgin installs on my second box.
Haven't found any big differences between the way I upgrade.
Pjotr, you don't think the upgrade path is the way? So, the codebase will make this upgrade unstable?
How or why?

Regards
Mikael
Pjotr is absolutely right about this and it's not only true for the Xfce version. There's no simple explanation for why this happens. Feel free to use your search engine for that one :wink: .

Problems caused by web major release upgrades are quite hard to diagnose so you'd likely end up doing a clean reinstall anyway if it happened because it'd be the fastest and easiest way to fix things. Doing a web upgrade with a major point release is just a lot less reliable than a backup and clean reinstall.

This has been a known issue for years with Ubuntu and any distro based on Ubuntu, like Mint (except for LMDE). There are a lot of posts on the subject at ubuntuforums and definitely a few here too.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Sgthawker wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:16 am Any ideas on what may have occurred?
The Tara backgrounds arent in the Sylvia repo. Each new version has the current backgrounds plus all the previous ones.

You can still get the Tara backgrounds on Mint 18.3 or earlier via a Deb package.

See http://www.packages.linuxmint.com/pool/ ... unds-tara/
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Sgthawker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sgthawker »

smurphos wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:46 pm You can still get the Tara backgrounds on Mint 18.3 or earlier via a Deb package.
See http://www.packages.linuxmint.com/pool/ ... unds-tara/
Worked great, thanks! :mrgreen:
LM21.1 KDE/LM21.1 Cin/ UEFI Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Ryzen 7 5800X, GTX 3060, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe
LM21.1 KDE/LM21.1 Cin/ UEFI on STRIX laptop, i7700 HQ, GTX 1060, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe

Return to “Xfce”