Xfburn Not Installed By Default In Mint 19 (Tara)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SunWorks
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Xfburn Not Installed By Default In Mint 19 (Tara)

Post by SunWorks »

Pjotr wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:57 pm Probably because burning DVD's is getting out of fashion...
Uhhh... I sure hope perceived "fashion" does not influence the decision to include or exclude burning software.

Sure there are other ways to distribute and play content, but that does not imply the DVD is no longer useful.

It's INCREDIBLY useful and valuable.
Not having a default burner is a real disappointment.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

It has always been available in Software Manager,
just because it is not defaulted in the menu is not a real problem IMO.

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
mint4all
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mint4all »

AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:28 pm It has always been available in Software Manager,
just because it is not defaulted in the menu is not a real problem IMO.
Agreed -- this isn't really a "problem" per se; rather, it goes to out-of-the-box usability if a particular distro. Does Mint's "Cinnamon"-spin have a cd-/dvd-burner included upon the initial install? Does Mint's "Mate"-spin have one? Should Mint's "XFCE"-spin have it installed in light of the fact that its "Xfburn"er is an XFCE.org-maintained app, native to its DE? With all due respect, imho, Mint's devs should err on the side of feature-completeness (perhaps not on the live disk, but definitely upon any persistent install). What's the harm in doing so, anyway?

So while we're discussing "missing" features, how about the ubiquitous "MintMenu" that's powering "Cinnamon", and has been added to "Mate'? Its python-code contains hooks to run under xfce as well, but the xfce-spin ships with the Whiskermenu-applet instead? Would it make sense for Mint to be consistent across all its DE-flavors? Note: even ubuntu's Mate-spin in 18.04 now ships with a non-mate menu that is somewhat akin to the whisker- and mint-menus ...
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Agreed -- this isn't really a "problem" per se; rather, it goes to out-of-the-box usability if a particular distro. Does Mint's "Cinnamon"-spin have a cd-/dvd-burner included upon the initial install? Does Mint's "Mate"-spin have one? Should Mint's "XFCE"-spin have it installed in light of the fact that its "Xfburn"er is an XFCE.org-maintained app, native to its DE?
None of the spins contain cd/dvd burning software by default.
With all due respect, imho, Mint's devs should err on the side of feature-completeness (perhaps not on the live disk, but definitely upon any persistent install). What's the harm in doing so, anyway?
No they shouldn't. Not in this case. Defaults are about what is hopefully useful to the majority of users. With so many machines not even having optical media drives nowadays, it's simply is no use to most users. In addition, everyone has their personal preference on this. If a user actually wants the functionality, they can install the one they like to use quite easily. What's the harm? If you try to supply defaults that are perfect for every single user, you'd soon end up with an iso you wouldn't even be able to fit on a dvd :) Any user could make this argument for the app THEY want.
So while we're discussing "missing" features, how about the ubiquitous "MintMenu" that's powering "Cinnamon", and has been added to "Mate'?
Nothing to discuss here. Your information is just plain wrong. No idea why you think Cinnamons menu is the same menu used in Mate. It's not. Not even close. Mint menu in Mate couldn't even possibly work in Cinnamon, and vice versa. They share absolutely nothing.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

JosephM wrote:
With so many machines not even having optical media drives nowadays, it's simply is no use to most users.
So 51% of Mint users don't have disc drives? I find that hard to believe (even if it is true :wink: ).
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Schultz wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:47 pm
JosephM wrote:
With so many machines not even having optical media drives nowadays, it's simply is no use to most users.
So 51% of Mint users don't have disc drives? I find that hard to believe (even if it is true :wink: ).
Well, who knows for sure? Ubuntu is trying to gain some of this info from their users but many people throw a fit about the idea. All we can do is go on the general feedback we hear from users. This is a good case. This is the first time I've heard it brought up. That would lead one to assume most users don't care. I can look around my own home with 5 machines and only one has an optical drive. Much less than 51% ;) This specific case is also one where every user seems to have a different personal preference on what they like to use. Whether any particular user agrees or not, the simple fact is that less and less pc hardware seems to be getting shipped with optical drives.

We used to ship Brasero, but frankly it sucked :) When I still had need of an app for this my personal choice was actually xfburn because it was simple and just worked.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

JosephM wrote:
I have 4 laptops, and only two of them have an optical DVD drive.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:05 pm
JosephM wrote:
I have 4 laptops, and only two of them have an optical DVD drive.
Oh! But so close :)
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

I have 4 computers (2 desktop towers, 2 laptops) and all 4 of them have DVD drives. :D
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
12 Monkeys

Post by 12 Monkeys »

Pjotr wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:57 pm Not by default, no. There's no default burning app in Cinnamon and MATE either. Probably because burning DVD's is getting out of fashion...
But then.. How come I have it? It is here 8) By default.
I used the update manager path. Is that why?
18>19

Mikael
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

12 Monkeys wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:45 am
Pjotr wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:57 pm Not by default, no. There's no default burning app in Cinnamon and MATE either. Probably because burning DVD's is getting out of fashion...
18>19
Yes.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
mint4all
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mint4all »

12 Monkeys wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:45 am
18>19

Mikael
Ime, if you ever installed the "XFCE4-GOODIES" package (a metapackage of sorts), it also installed the cd/dvd-burner app (along with other xfce-developed apps) whether you noticed it or not. During the LM19 beta, i noticed the lack thereof and was critical of that fact in my blog post. So perhaps the team decided to include that package after all in the final release ...
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

it is hard to remember all of the neat things we like to use.

I keep getting reminded of that every time I do a fresh install, and like this morning, realized that I had forgot to add Redshift to my new Tara Cindy install. the instant I did, I realized that my eyestrain was reduced.

Return to “Xfce”