[SOLVED] Taskbar Panel: Single Program Always Moves to Right of Others

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
loki_unbound

[SOLVED] Taskbar Panel: Single Program Always Moves to Right of Others

Post by loki_unbound »

Hi there,

I'm a first time poster, so apologies in advance for any newbie mistakes.
I am currently running Mint 18.3 XFCE 64-bit. I have just upgraded from 18.2, which in itself had been upgraded from 18.1, and the issue I'm having has been persistent across all three variants.

The problem is a minor irritant but I haven't been able to discover a solution here, nor on the wider web. In the taskbar panel, I'm having strange behaviour related to a single program: Vivaldi browser. Basically, everything else seems to behave correctly: I open a program and it remains fixed in place, so when I open a second program it opens directly to the right of it and so on. However, Vivaldi's placement shifts, so even if I open it first it's pushed to the right of the open programs listings as I open more programs. The other programs themselves remain in the correct order of when I opened them, but Vivaldi does not.

I hope my explanation is clear, but it's kind of hard to describe.

Does anyone with more technical savvy than me have any idea what's causing this and, better yet, a possible solution? It's small but drives me a little batty as I often have to flick between my browser and other open programs when I'm doing some tasks and I would like it to remain where I damn well tell it to!

Thank you in advance for anything you might be able to offer.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Taskbar Panel: Single Program Always Moves to Right of Others When They're Opened Afterwards

Post by richyrich »

Right click on the panel, click Panel > and choose Panel Preferences; go to the Items tab.
Scroll down to Window Buttons, highlight it, and click the Edit/Info button to the right.
Once the Window Button preferences window is visible, change the Sort Order to Timestamp or Nothing. :)
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Taskbar Panel: Single Program Always Moves to Right of Others When They're Opened Afterwards

Post by MrEen »

richyrich wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:32 pm Right click on the panel, click Panel > and choose Panel Preferences; go to the Items tab.
Scroll down to Window Buttons, highlight it, and click the Edit/Info button to the right.
Once the Window Button preferences window is visible, change the Sort Order to Timestamp or Nothing. :)
Thanks for that, richyrich. I've just used the default since install not realizing I could change it. :oops:

And thanks to you too, loki_unbound. Without your question, I'd have never known this. :D
loki_unbound

Re: [Solved] Taskbar Panel: Single Program Always Moves to Right of Others

Post by loki_unbound »

Thank you so much, richyrich, that did the trick!

And you're welcome, MrEen, I'm glad I could be of help in a vicarious way though of course the full credit belongs to richyrich. :D

I declare my problem [SOLVED].

Return to “Xfce”