Ethernet going strange most every time I update

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
12 Monkeys

Ethernet going strange most every time I update

Post by 12 Monkeys »

Hi!
I used the upgrade path to 19. Been good to me.
But then, the updates. I am following the set sessions.
But most every time there is a linux kernel update, (or even
other stuff), my ethernet goes haywire?
I have to start it from 0 and configure it from scratch.
Anyone?

Mikael
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Ethernet going strange most every time I update

Post by AZgl1800 »

Typical if your computer's WiFi or Internet adapter is not supported by the kernels...

Mine is not, every time a new kernel is installed, I have to go through the reinstall of the WiFi driver.
Mine has MediaTek.

Broadcom is another difficult one to make work out of the box.

I have read that Intel WiFi adapters are supposed by Linux out of the box.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
12 Monkeys

Post by 12 Monkeys »

Yeah. True that.I know. Cheers mate.
But.. My ask why such a central service as Ethernet is a problem?
This is one of the basics to get Linux Mint running. If we don't
connect how will we get it playing? Remember, there is a lot of guys,
(me included),that is not that sure of the linux... Is there one thing you
mint lovelys should get right it is this. Get a guy or five to do driver updates!

Mikael
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

12 Monkeys wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:12 pmBut.. My ask why such a central service as Ethernet is a problem?
Because the kernel maintainers do not include code for every version/revision/etc. of every Ethernet device on the planet, I suppose.

Or, alternatively, because some users insist on running Ethernet devices which do not use the code that's included in the kernels, lol.

Linux is not a "unified OS" like Microsoft's various "Windows" OS are. There are various "standards" that many people follow, and some collaborations - but "See also: Herding rabid kittens," :lol: .

You could try petitioning that small group of people who maintain the linux kernel to include the code for your specific device. I'm not sure whether or not this will ultimately prove fruitful, though.
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/l ... n-fellows/

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
12 Monkeys

Post by 12 Monkeys »

Hi MDM!

I know the Mint doesn't owe me anything. The community 8)
But
MtnDewManiac wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:10 pmOr, alternatively, because some users insist on running Ethernet devices which do not use the code that's included in the kernels, lol.
I don't "instist" to run a special Ethernet device. There is a finite number of PC's and laptops around.
Mate.... :wink:
So... You really mean we should choose our PC/laptop out of getting a Ethernet device working?
That is hubris." - Get the good hardware. If you are stupid enough to buy something else... -"
It is like Mint telling me you are a noob, a peasant. You are not worthy of using our sacred OS.
I've said it: "If we don't connect how will we get it playing?
Linux Mint should be very interested into getting it working in as many hw settings as possible.
Mint is my love. But sometimes I am so,so sick of using hours searching for a solution for
a problem like this.

Mikael
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

12 Monkeys wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:58 pmGet the good hardware.
It's not a question of "good" hardware, it's one of compatibility (more or less). This is not a new thing. They've been pushing out "made for Windows" hardware since at least as far back as Windows XP. There isn't a lot of "made for linux" hardware, lol. I won't say that it's pure coincidence that any random hardware item functions (perfectly) under linux; many manufacturers publish information and some seem to go a little bit further than that.

But if you just close your eyes and pick something, it can be a bit of a crap shoot. Yes, it'll probably work - but results not guaranteed and all that.

Aside from that, you clearly missed the main point of my post. You are griping at the wrong people! This is not a Mint issue; this is a kernel issue. Maybe my attempt at being polite caused me to not speak (type) plainly. Therefore, I'll try again:
Go pester Linus Torvalds, lol. Or the Ubuntu maintainers who package the specific kernels that end up on our computers.
12 Monkeys wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:58 pmLinux Mint should be very interested into getting it working in as many hw settings as possible.
Linux Mint, not being sentient, is not interested in anything. If you meant to refer to Clem and his team of developers... They probably are. In fact, if you are having compatibility issues with your specific hardware, I'd guess that they'd be happy for you to pack it all up and send it to them, as a gift, so that they can add one more test rig. Which would probably be of general help, in theory. However, since it looks like the kernels that mintUpdate has been downloading and installing on my system are coming from Ubuntu's maintainers, LMAO, it probably isn't going to solve your issue. Unless coincidentally, by your having to buy new hardware and choosing a different set, I suppose.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

12 Monkeys wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:58 pm Hi MDM!

I know the Mint doesn't owe me anything. The community 8)
But
MtnDewManiac wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:10 pmOr, alternatively, because some users insist on running Ethernet devices which do not use the code that's included in the kernels, lol.
I don't "instist" to run a special Ethernet device. There is a finite number of PC's and laptops around.
Mate.... :wink:
So... You really mean we should choose our PC/laptop out of getting a Ethernet device working?
That is hubris." - Get the good hardware. If you are stupid enough to buy something else... -"
It is like Mint telling me you are a noob, a peasant. You are not worthy of using our sacred OS.
I've said it: "If we don't connect how will we get it playing?
Linux Mint should be very interested into getting it working in as many hw settings as possible.
Mint is my love. But sometimes I am so,so sick of using hours searching for a solution for
a problem like this.

Mikael
Well, if you include no clear information you won''t get clear answers. And 'Mint' isn't telling you anything ... this is a volunteer user forum. BTW this sort of issue isn't Mint specific, it affects ALL Linux distros.

DId you have to compile and build your network adapter driver? If so, it's to be expected that you'll have to compile and build the driver again after any kernel update. In Linux it's completely normal.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
mint4all
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mint4all »

12 Monkeys wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:12 pm Yeah. True that.I know. Cheers mate.
But.. My ask why such a central service as Ethernet is a problem?
This is one of the basics to get Linux Mint running. If we don't
connect how will we get it playing? Remember, there is a lot of guys,
(me included),that is not that sure of the linux... Is there one thing you
mint lovelys should get right it is this. Get a guy or five to do driver updates!

Mikael
Greetings to you & MDM

@Mikael ... When you chose the "upgrade path", did you first use the live system (on dvd, usb or vm) successfully, and did your Ethernet card (or dongle) connect correctly? I am asking this because the kernel-maintainers (imho) are in the triage business: support for "new & improved" chipsets is displacing the support for aging chipsets; otherwise the kernel's driver archive would accumulate so much unused (or rarely used) baggage that it ends up being too huge and unwieldy. I remember too well the separate "Driver Discs" that shipped way back with W98, WMe, WNt, WXp, Netware, Xenix etc ...

In fact, the linux kernel (bless you, Mr. Torvaldis) is soooo flexible that it can be made to run with just about anything. Our problem is that most of us (certainly myself) don't know how to tweak it for aging or one-off hardware. And Ubuntu's kernel-option choices may very well be the best for ubuntu's customers, but are these kernel-option choices also the best for Mint's users? Let's keep in mind that Ubuntu is playing into and appealing to the corporate market (meaning: standardized systems & 1st-rate options from the majors, inventory that later gets dumped on ebay once their expenses are written off).

Btw: Both Dell & System76 offer their newer systems with linux installed, and support their older platforms to some extent as well. Alas, that doesn't help you rght now (certified for '12 Monkeys' isn't being offered afaict) and, speaking just for myself, i am very happy that my family's and friends' heaps of old systems, 8 - 13 y.o., keeps running with LM18.3-xfce (LM19 is still iffy, and i'll be looking over LMDE once it stabilizes). Intil then i'll resist that upgrade urge, tempting as it is 8)

So then, shall we try and fix your networking issue, and tweak your Ethernet connection accordingly? Do that inxi and lsusb thing?

Cheers, M4A
12 Monkeys

Post by 12 Monkeys »

Ok. You guys got me. Being a newbie...
But I am also very open to help :)
So M4A.

Code: Select all

inxi
CPU~Quad core Intel Core i7-7700HQ (-MT-MCP-) speed/max~2480/3800 MHz Kernel~4.15.0-32-generic x86_64 Up~2:39 Mem~2658.0/15916.9MB HDD~1256.3GB(10.1% used) Procs~231 Client~Shell inxi~2.3.56

Code: Select all

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04f2:b5a7 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd 
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 8087:0a2b Intel Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1c7a:0603 LighTuning Technology Inc. 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
mint4all
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mint4all »

12 Monkeys wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:46 pm Ok. You guys got me. Being a newbie...
But I am also very open to help :)
So M4A.
Well, i apologize for my tone -- i meant no disrespect! -- and should have been more instructive ... Imho, all of us are noobs until our last hour :wink:

Though I may be mistaken, I can't recognize anything in your info related to networking. So please, run these 3 commands: "inxi -Fxz", "ifconfig" and "iwconfig" (without those quotes) then post their output. That should give us a pretty good idea how your system is configured.

Thanks. M4A

Return to “Xfce”