Xfce4 Broken package

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
amineharbaoui
Level 1
Level 1

Xfce4 Broken package

Post by amineharbaoui »

Hi,

I want to make migration from cinnamon to Xfce4 so I found tutorial on how to do that, my problem here is when I open the Synaptic Package Manager and when I select Xfce4 to install, the package appear on the broken section, Any idea why ? and how to fix that so I can install Xfce4 ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Xfce4 Broken package

Post by catweazel »

amineharbaoui wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:09 am I want to make migration from cinnamon to Xfce4 so I found tutorial on how to do that, my problem here is when I open the Synaptic Package Manager and when I select Xfce4 to install, the package appear on the broken section, Any idea why ? and how to fix that so I can install Xfce4 ?
Avoid major issues by backing up your home directory and clean install Mint Xfce. You're headed for trouble otherwise.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

He;s right, installing multiple DEs is one of the best ways to make your OS unreliable, and the usually recommended fix for those problems is a clean reinstall anyway.

If you want to try Xfce the best way is to dl the live CD iso and boot that from a USB stick. AN optical disc boot isn't fast enough to get a feel for the DE.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

To answer the OP. You can use the menu item in Synaptic Package Manager called "Fix broken packages".

The correct package to install Mint Xfce is called mint-meta-xfce. It will include all required files and apps to run the Xfce desktop.
BrianI

Post by BrianI »

richyrich wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:49 am To answer the OP. You can use the menu item in Synaptic Package Manager called "Fix broken packages".

The correct package to install Mint Xfce is called mint-meta-xfce. It will include all required files and apps to run the Xfce desktop.
mint-meta-xfce is what I installed on my Mint 19 Mate install. No issues as yet, however once mint 19.1 comes out (or perhaps before), I may do a clean installation of Mint 19 Xfce edition, seeing as I seem to prefer that to Mate now. :D
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

Ditto, about fixing broken packages directly from within synaptic. Just look a the options in the file menu of synaptic and you'll find the function for fixing broken packages. It's not anything I'd be concerned about ... unless your system is not behaving properly anymore.

As far as installing multiple desktops ... I've never ever during the past 5+ years experienced issues with that. The distributions are generally designed to permit a user to try something different, so there shouldn't be any issues as long as you're not doing something off the wall to the DE afterwards. My last (Mint19) install was Cinnamon as well, still didn't like it as much as the customizeability (is that a word?) that I have with XFCE, so I installed XFCE4, rebooted the computer instead of just logging out, and then selected XFCE at the login screen ... absolutely *ZERO* problems ... being a power user with lots of custom and even third party apps.
I even installed Caja right away for the music file previews and made that my default FM.

Greetings from Overseas ...

PLEASE ... Don't respond to questions with meaningless or thoughtless comments!
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.

Return to “Xfce”